Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Blogger Beware

I have discovered a little something I like to call irony. Yes, I discovered irony.
This specific brand is blog irony.
Here’s what has happened. I blog daily. I know some of my entries are useless foolishness, some are (hopefully) encouraging or thought-provoking. I try not to be self serving, but it’s there. And the opinions expressed are those of the management and meant to represent the writer thereof. Sometimes people don’t agree, sometimes they get mad. It’s fertile ground for discord.
I don’t always know what to do about potential offense-provoking posts. I have no desire to offend anyone. In that spirit however, some of my convictions do hit others the wrong way. Still, I feel the need to speak what I believe to be true.
Here’s the irony; other people’s blogs sometimes offend me. What to do? Specifically, I just now was surfing around the internet and coincidentally ran in to the blog of someone I know. And the contents of this individual’s blog made me realize that I don’t like the way they think! I’m offended! For a moment or two, I reconsidered whether I could like the person themselves now that I had a peek into their thoughts.
Blogs can be dangerous guys. I want to make two points and then I’ll hop off this soap box.

1. You have every right to say whatever you want; it’s your blog. Just seek wisdom on how important a statement is to you vs. the reaction you’re causing. Poking people with a stick doesn’t make them want to listen to you. If you want to be heard, choose words people will listen to.
2. You have every right to stop reading any blog that offends you. No one owes you anything. We’re all walking different paths and filtering ourselves through different perspectives. Some blogs will have a positive effect on your thought life and some will have a negative effect. If you’re getting angry and not able to step back and try to see the writer’s point use your mouse. Click click. You’re outta there. Don’t visit just to see if the blogger is still a jerk and if you still hate them. You too need wisdom, reader. I’m not opposed to debate and discussion; but foolish arguing is, well, it’s foolish.
Don’t engage in word wars. Healthy discussion is great but at some point in our lives, we all need to know when to agree to disagree. Just walk away Renee.

There is nothing we are called to do by Christ that will cause division. Offense, sure. We have to challenge the things that displease God to change them. But we are all susceptible to degrading the challenge into name-calling and finger-pointing. My final question is this, are you attempting reconciliation and honor to God with your blogging, reading and commenting? Or are you patting yourself on the back for your great insight and using words as weapons?
Are you reading to check yourself and see if there’s something to learn on a particular blog? Or are you going back for an anger fix?

Just some thoughts.

Titus 3:9
9But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless.

Proverbs 19:11
11 A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.

4 comments:

tina fabulous said...

nicely played!

you are a beacon of wisdom per usual.

thank you for being sometimes the only bright spot in my day!

Sara said...

if it is you, surely it would be better if you had not been born.

Tracey, in MI said...

ok- am laughing--- cause--- lets just say- I have a tendancy to be offensive without meaning it.....


If it was me--- sorry----

oh--- and send me an e-mail to let me know----what I said---

ayway- well said and appreciated! ;)

Sara said...

ok guys, the person who offended me doesn't even read my blog and i just ran across their's by accident. relax! coughmikecough.