Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Gifts


We don't purposefully pursue huge piles of Christmas gifts. I've never been one to need to see boxes to the ceiling to feel Christmasy. Nonetheless, somehow when Christmas morning rolls around there we sit in the middle of wrapping paper and boxes and presents galore.
I'm at a kind of a nice point in my life, the lean days of not enough money are becoming more memory than reality now. And boy am I glad! But I gotta tell ya, this new-found prosperity makes Christmas a little more challenging, believe it or not. Because there's not all that much we are waiting and hoping for in December. I want a new pair of earrings; I go buy 'em. CDs, perfume, shoes...you get the idea. Same with daboyz and the Mr. We're blessed. And grateful.
So as I sat in the middle of this great abundance on Christmas morning I was curious about what I'd receive from these three guys. I had no doubt that the shopping had to be a challenge.
So what did I open up?
Love. Sweetness. Thoughtfulness. And my favorite gift of all. One I never get tired of. One that thrills me every time I open it. The gift of being known.
I got eight new books. Everyone looks better than the last. Everyone I would've chosen myself.
I got a soft and warm fleece hoody in the color everyone at works says is "your color", I mean my color. You know what I mean.
I got two new pairs of Sketchers. Need I elaborate?
I got a stack of new washcloths, something I'd mentioned in passing a month ago to the Mr. that I wanted.
I got a clear coffee mug which is the perfect thing to drink coffee from and a bag of Starbucks to go with.
I got my new favorite flavor body spray that I didn't even know was my favorite from T~ with a fabulously ridiculously trivially important book in a Hanukkah bag. Perfection.
I got Wyatt fudge and Margie cookies.
I got two, TWO quilts and a groovy watch set with multiple bands from my staff at work.
I got lots of other stuff too, all perfect in all kinds of different ways.
I got a beautiful, crazy mixed up pile of me wrapped in shiny paper and bows.
From a beautiful crazy mixed up buncha people that know me.
Man, do I love that.
I am humbled and thankful.

5 comments:

KayMac said...

And my favorite gift of all. One I never get tired of. One that thrills me every time I open it. The gift of being known. NICELY SAID! TRULY A GIFT!

Pat said...

So true..the gift of being known...and I didn't even get a popcorn popper or a Detroit Lions ornament this year!

tina fabulous said...

the pleasure of knowing you is all the gift i ever need! :)

Jada's Gigi said...

Nothing better than really needing nothing and getting "just what you wanted" with out knowing it was just what you wanted...:)
To be known...I think that desire comes straight from our Father's heart...He surely went out of His way to make Himself known....Hope your new year is just as awesome!

Deb said...

I hear ya....when I opened my easel, I cried --because it's something I've wanted/needed forever - but haven't mentioned at all this year --because I haven't been painting since I have no studio space...(yet!) Sometimes I wonder if Brillo Man hears me...I think he probably listens more than I give him credit for! (ended in a preposition and I don't even care!)