Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Take Me Out...


Dean's parents are doing well here at the Casa de Smith. His dad has had some changes in his routine (thanks to some pushy nurse) and he's a bit more lucid. He is able to track forward a week or so with their schedule and remembers all of our names. They are eating well and today they went on a walk around the block with the Mr.! Well, the Mr. and the FIL walked, the MIL road her scooter but it was still a big deal!

Tonight the Mr. has taken his dad to a Tiger game and Jay is along to assist. Dean's dad was excited to go and when I got home from work he was wearing his "new pants" and talking about the game. He had been saving his new pants for a special occasion you see.

So at the moment, they are at Comerica Park. The MIL is tucked in to bed and sound asleep.

As for Donny, he has gone to sleep outside on the deck and refuses to come back inside. I guess he figures if he ain't sleeping in his bed, he'll sleep under the stars.

Tomorrow morning Dean will take the folks to visit an assisted living center and then they will go for a few nights to stay with Dean's grandmother. Not sure how that's gonna work out! LORD HAVE MERCY!

All in all, things are going well. Thanks for your prayers and please continue to remember us as we try to make some decisions for the future.

I'm going to bed!
Update: Everybody enjoyed the game and got home safely!

4 comments:

Constance said...

After reading these last 2 posts, I am praying a blessing for you! I really have no idea of what you're going through but as I get older and see my parents get older as well, I know that it's inevitable.

My FIL is almost 83 and is getting more frail all the time b/c of the emphysema. Because he gets winded so easily it's just easier to sit and do nothing! He's down to 138 pounds and has lot ALL muscle whatsoever. It's sad really.

I have probably shared before that he is a bitter, lonely old man due mostly to his own choice. He has rejected God and has been mad at God since he was 18 years old when his mother suffered and died from stomach cancer!

I am believing that God is keeping him around still so that he can accept Christ before he dies. No one is beyond God's reach it's just that some people are too prideful to admit that they need Christ and he's one of them.

Wow, what a cheery comment! Sorry to be a downer!
Connie

Margie said...

I am glad everyone made it home safely! And had a good time! PRAYING!!

Mrs. Mac said...

You are a saint, Sara. I'm happy for you that this day went pretty well for everyone.

Jada's Gigi said...

Wow! You brought them home with you! You are a gamer! :) All kidding aside..I realize this is a very difficult time in life...when we get to the point we have to care for our parents..its a scary and painful thing. I'll be praying for you and the Mr..and Donny too...poor baby.