Monday, January 17, 2011

Plans

Load of laundry in the wash, cup of coffee in my hand and enjoying these quiet first moments of the day. It's my day off but the Mr. has the day off as well in honor of Dr. King. We are going to snuggle, watch a movie or two and just rest after a busy few weeks. This evening is Weight Watchers and then out to dinner. But that's 12 hours away...12 whole hours to enjoy each other and our home (and Daboyz who are sure to be somewhere in the scenario.)

Going to prepare a meal or two for the week ahead to make for easy and healthy dinners after work. Mac made a huge pot of veggie soup yesterday which will take us through the week as well. We picked up a large bag of frozen berries for easy smoothie making and after this day of rest and quiet there is a successful week awaiting us.

I developed a new system at work to keep me organized and minimize those moments of being overwhelmed so I actually enjoy going to work now. Last week I had several projects going at once so part of that organizational plan included taking advantage of working the weekend with no meetings to interrupt my progress. The best laid plans... The weekend was busier than the week and those hours reserved for desk work were chewed up with other priorities. It's still ok because my new system will make it easy to put my office back in order and find the spot where I left off so I can pick right up and get things back on schedule.

And now what you've been waiting for...the romance update! LOL! I'm not sure what impression other people have of our marriage but it's perfectly imperfect. The past few weeks have been too busy for dancing by candle light, actually I don't recall us dancing by candle light very much even when we aren't busy. But with Dean's dad's hospitalization and newly diagnosed cardiac problems, we have had to switch gears emotionally as well as in practical ways. Dean has been confronted with a new phase of his dad's illness that brings the fact of his limited time into focus which has been difficult. I have needed to take on the reins of keeping the house on an even keel because this is where we come to think and to heal and to renew ourselves. So we've both been doing slightly different tasks internally and externally. So where's the romance? Praying for, caring for and giving room to our partners is romance of a sacred kind. I have prayed for Dean even more than I usually do as he has made his way through his dad's new needs. I've done my best to minimize the home-front demands by doing the grocery shopping, meal cooking and kitchen clean-up which are jobs we usually share. And yes, I have given him room. I've given him my insight medically and then let him make his way through the decision-making. I've not taken offense at his distraction. As things are now settling, we are drifting easily back to a more "normal" way of life. It takes a solid foundation to be blown about without damage when the storm passes over. That's why the easy times are more important than the hard times. This is where we make the plans to help one another when difficult days come.

Home, work, romance...and spirit. I am reading the Joyce Meyer Confidant Woman Devotional. I am not a devotional kind of person but felt that this was something needed for me right now and it has been a good daily dose of the Word to focus. Like the earth orbiting the sun, we need to find easy and realistic ways to ensure that our hearts caught in the pull of the Holy Spirit. Hundreds of years ago, it was believed that the sun and planets rotated around the earth. This may sound silly now but we still tend toward a spirit that is only comfortable when life is caught in our own orbits and we are at the center. Or we feel caught in a solar system where the sun that should be Jesus is replaced by the latest crisis. How exhausting and frustrating life is when I feel that I am forever circling the latest concern. I've made plans to read the Bible, study an hour daily, learn the history of Israel or master prophecy. Right now, at this time in my life, I don't have the time or the ability to take on such demanding goals. But the purpose of the Bible is not to have achieved a sort of honorary theology degree but to find all that we need there and to have the Word of God master us-not the other way around.

And so, this morning I am going to get a second cup of coffee and put my laundry into the dryer. Some time meditating on my devotional for the day and then if all goes as planned, several hours of renewing of my mind, spirit and body. Then again if all does not go as planned, it'll be ok. Because the plan is really not mine anyway.


2 comments:

Becky said...

need a sara fix. when can we meet?

Mrs. Mac said...

what a beautiful post .. and yes .. romance is written all over it. Have a blessed day off with The Mr.

Hugs,