Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My friend, my brother


I have this friend who I know is a good guy. He's smart, he's funny and he's compassionate. He did something, something silly, that offended me. It wasn't directed at me. It was a few sentences, a joke. But it hurt me despite having nothing really to do with me. So I told him.

The reason I told him was because I had a hunch that even if he disagreed with me, he'd take my feelings seriously. That's what real friends do, and I consider him a real friend.

I haven't seen this guy in a while, although I used to see him all the time. I probably won't see him in the immediate future. But I appreciate him because when he realized my reaction, he took the high road. He could've made fun of me or ignored me but he didn't. He apologized, apologized for hurting me.

He taught me a lesson this evening. On more than one occasion, someone has been bothered by words or action of mine that I thought inconsequential. I haven't always taken the high road and made it right based just on wanting to relieve the other person's offense.

So thank you brother (although I'm not sure you even read my blog!) Thank you for caring for my heart and for showing me Christ.

And this, my friend, is why I call you brother.

Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times and a brother is born for adversity.

2 comments:

Jada's Gigi said...

A brother...a treasure

Margie said...

you are blessed!