Friday, April 10, 2009

Barabbas



Luke 23: 18 And they cried out all at once, saying, Away with this man, and release unto us Barabbas...






I have decided that today I am releasing Barabbas. At the trial of Jesus, the crowd was asked who should released by their Passover custom; Barabbas or Jesus? The known criminal or the Messiah? The crowd cried out for the release of Barabbas and Jesus was led away for crucifixion. This is the day we have chosen to recognize the sacrificial death of Jesus. Just like all of us, Barabbas' life was bought by Christ.



I don't know if this will become a part of my life or just be for this year, but today I am releasing Barabbas. There is a person who I have little patience for. Someone I have a hard time wishing well, whose mistakes I often wish would be noticed. Someone who I want to see suffer the consequences for what he does. I don't know the reason for every offensive act but I do know that some are intentional and some are lies and some are to throw someone else under the bus. He's my Barabbas today. Over and over again I have reacted with confrontation or frustration or, yes I've done this, talking about him to other people. I have heard people talk about him unkindly and even laugh at him and stood on the sidelines enjoying the show. After all, they aren't lying. He's earned every snide remark. I guess you'd say he's a "known criminal." Today I am releasing him. I know full well what he is and is not capable of as I've seen it almost daily. He has no intention of changing and never apologizes. He'll cross my path again next week and do it all over again. For my part, I am done. I am releasing him from all the little punishments I've imposed on him from my own hardened heart to my graceless words. I won't pick the gauntlet back up. I won't respond to another baiting comment or reply to another disrespectful e mail. Today I am setting him free.



This may me nothing to you but if it does strike a familiar chord; cry out to God and release Barabbas. And hide in the shadow of the cross.

2 comments:

Deb said...

How is it that you are so wise? You are younger than I, not by much, but by some...yet I sense that you have wisdom far beyond your years.

Releasing Barabbas....this is good.

Keep it coming, O wise one....
You are a blessing. Consistently challenging your readers to be real and to live up to our name: "Christians."

Louise said...

Thank you. I needed to read this; now I need to apply to my own Barabbas.