Monday, January 25, 2010

Insomnia


Tried the much recommended Melatonin last night for insomnia. I've never been a "good" sleeper and every once in a while I hit a streak that goes for a few weeks with poor sleep. I have the premium combo insomnia platter: can't fall asleep, can't stay asleep, sleep lightly, awaken early. I guess I'm gifted.
Anyway, I purchased the Melatonin on my way home last night and tried it. Not all that impressed. I did not sleep through the night, up every hour or so. I did however have the exceptionally vivid dreams and nightmares that a small segment of the population experience. I told you I'm gifted! Finally after laying in bed wide awake for two hours I got up and laid on the couch to watch Dr. Doolittle (the original!) at about 4 a.m. Then the question is, when to have coffee? Do I just go ahead and start my day or try to catch a few more zs? I did catnap for a while although I'm not sure that is exactly restorative sleep. At 8:30 I made the coffee. After that time I don't really want to go to sleep. Maybe I'll nap in the afternoon since I'm off. At the moment I just have that didn't sleep and I have a headache feeling.
In Melatonin's defense, I usually feel groggy and fuzzy after taking a sleep aid which I don't feel this morning. I don't know if I want to try again or just go back to praying! I didn't so much love those dreams and when I finally woke up from them I was disturbed enough not to be able to sleep again for quite a while.
Here we are at the end of all I have to say on the subject without a pithy conclusion. Write something in the comments to bring it all together. I'm too tired.

5 comments:

Debra said...

Uh-oh. Perhaps you've reached the age (as I did) when you have to totally give-up coffee. Ack, I know. (Or was the coffee you mentioned in your post just decaf?). The older I become, the more sensitive to caffeine I get. I do make a couple cups of hot-chocolate in the mornings with baking cocoa and just a tiny bit of milk. Contact me and I'll give you the recipe. Occasionally I make decaf, but too much of that and I have arthritis flare-ups which is common amongst women from families where arthritis runs (I've read).

Anyway...... here is my nighttime sleep-inducing cocktail: 1 Vitamin D (1,000 mgs), 1 Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc pill, 1 quarter cup grape juice (no added sugar). Puts me out right away.

I do wake up often sometimes during the night so I usually take a couple more sips of grape juice (I read that the juice and the above vitamins help others sleep,too). I also like to fall asleep watching a favorite comedy show, then turn it back on if I wake up at night--that nearly always works too, even though the 'experts' say not to do that. :)

Hang in there. There is lots of help online and I'll be praying that you find just the right combination of aids which works for you. Blessings, Debra

Deb said...

Grape juice, Vitamin D, Cal-Mag and Zinc...hmmmm? It can't hurt. I say 'go for it.'

Praying that you'll soon be over this bout of insomnia - and that the Lord uses you in the mean time to accomplish some awesome praying for His kingdom. ...powerful stuff happening in the heavenlies when you're praying instead of sleeping!


As for writing your pithy conclusion. I'm over it.

Jada's Gigi said...

There is a product called "Calm", which is basically magnesium. it is powdered and taken like alka seltzer in hot water, it fizzes:)...My husband swears by it for relaxation and sleep as it has a good effect on muscles etc. I swear by it for the help it provides in staying...ahhh...regular. You might want to try it for either reason. I personally find that it does not help me sleep but it surely does for him.

Debra said...

P.S. I forgot to add one other thing which greatly helps me sleep: I try not to eat anything 3 - 4 hours before I bedtime. If I do get a little hungry, I have just a tiny bit of protein which is supposed to help induce sleep. Blessings, Debra

Mrs. Mac said...

drink a little warm milk right before bed ... it really works!