Tuesday, January 26, 2010

To Sleep Perchance...


Ahhh. I actually slept almost seven hours last night! The Benadryl that had not helped for several days prior was, I believe, given a nudge by the Holy Spirit. What a relief! My mom and dad have been praying and I know many of you have been as well. Yesterday I was off work and spent the entire day on the couch cat-napping and still was able to sleep last night. I've already taken Benadryl tonight and am believing that with a few days back to normal I'll be, well, back to normal!
It seems between some long hours at work and this dratted insomnia, I am not doing much of anything else. Haven't gone to the library, haven't updated my photography blog. Just kind of pushing through one day after another. After just one night of sleep, I am hopeful that the rest of my awake life will be better too. If I sleep well tonight and have a good day tomorrow, I hope to treat myself to a library trip on the way home in the evening. Nerd alert!
As it is, I am oh so grateful to my girl Margie who gave me a collection of James Herriot stories in a beautiful hardcover book for my birthday. I am out of books due to my lack of library energy and have pulled out my friend the country vet. If you can't sleep, the next best thing is reading something uplifting and sweet and wholesome. I've read most of the stories a bajillion times over the last 20 years and I still laugh out loud at some and tear up at others. Plus this fabulous book has pages and pages of color photos of Yorkshire, where Mr. Herriot's veterinary practice was! After a few evenings reading this amazing book, I have to wonder if our collective insomnia isn't connected to all of the disturbing images that life in this broken world bring to our doorsteps through books, magazines, television, radio, internet, conversations...just knowing about the heartache and sin in the world I think our spirits are sometimes far from peaceful even though we don't realize it. We are not as resilient as we believe. And I'm glad for that, despite the insomnia and occasional tension headache! Should I really lose no sleep while Haiti suffers?
I'm not saying my spiritual self is so sensitive that it has caused my insomnia. But I do know, we should guard our hearts and minds and take time when we can to fill ourselves with loveliness, in whatever form suits us best.
So thank you, Margie, for being sensitive to the Holy Spirit when he pointed that book out to you. I can't tell you how grateful I was to pull it out of my beside book basket. Probably a good thing that I was out of books!
And thank you to my dad and mom for always praying over me and the rest of the family. How wonderful to go through your days knowing that someone is praying over you.
And of course, thank you to YOU who have shared your secret insomnia cures and also prayed for me. I am going to go read some James Herriot and let the Benadryl and Jesus take me away to the refreshing miracle of sleep.
Sweet dreams!

Philipians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

2 comments:

Jada's Gigi said...

Good night...:)

Margie said...

You're welcome!

I think its ok that we sleep while Haiti suffers, so that we are refreshed to pray for them, to do what we can, and Praise God for His blessings!