Monday, October 29, 2012

Flip that C. S. Lewis Room!

To everything there is a season, and a time to every home decor idea under heaven.

Do the changing seasons stir up your inner designer and make you want to paint, rearrange and freshen up your home?  Yes?  Good, me too.  Not to mention that my inner kindergarten teacher is compelled to bring out accents (currently lots of pumpkins and Autumn leaves) with every holiday or shift in the weather.  Seriously, if I didn't have to work for a living and had an endless supply of interior paint, I could stay busy until Jesus comes.

Shortly after we moved to this new old house, we painted the living room and nicknamed it the C.S. Lewis Room.  It was my space, quiet and small and ideal for reading or just thinking.  Over the last few years, it's become sort of a catch-all room as we inherited a piano and moved around furniture trying to make it all work.  Long story short, it no longer works.  Mac has a friend moving into their own apartment for the first time so I have decided this is an excellent time to start over in the C.S. Lewis Room.  We're going to give some old furniture away and empty out the accumulation of stuff to rethink the room.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the quickly approaching holidays will inspire the Mr. to work with me so that the house looks nice and fresh by Thanksgiving.  I know, high hopes.

I've got my eye out for the perfect new furniture.  I'd love a small sectional with a chaise.  Wouldn't that be perfect for reading and thinking?  It's also time to update the paint because the soothing golden orange is feeling dark and dreary to me now.  I'm considering sea glass blues and greens.  

The style is too modern, but how yummy is this?  YUMMY that's how yummy it is!  Since we live in a small post war bungalow with two bedrooms, I've also considered a daybed instead of a traditional sofa since it would be an excellent reading spot but also provide a place for an overnight guest in a pinch...


And how about copying all of our family and vacation photos in black & white?


I'm starting to wonder if this is a realistic project for the next few weeks.  Maybe after the holidays would be more doable and less stressful.  What do you guys think? 

7 comments:

Momma said...

Love the ideas. Maybe update the furniture and paint pre- holiday. And save the accenting for after the holidays. ;)

Jada's Gigi said...

you know I love the blues and greens...may be a bit much for "before Thanksgiving"...depends on how much help you;re gonna get from the Mister..and the $$ you have available for decorating with Christmas coming....

Margie said...

I say wait... i just have this feeling you will find the perfect something... and then there isn't the stress of time...

Debra said...

Lovely, exciting plans! Can you do half now, half later? Like paint now (so you can open windows), give away furniture, gather magazine/online photos, fabric swatches, write down all measurements, plan everything on paper etc., then do the rest after the holidays? When the doing of a project is pleasant, it makes the final result even sweeter. I know your room will look lovely! Blessings, Debra

Diane said...

I could decorate monthly if I had the money and energy! When I was younger, I moved my furniture so often Terry always complained that he never knew where his chair would be or if I'd leave it alone long enough for him to enjoy one good night's TV watching! He chose this horrid wood paneling for our house and I so do not like it. However, I also so do not have the money to have it replaced. I've toyed with the idea of getting it painted but not sure it would turn out right. ~~sigh~~ Whatever you do, and whenever you do it, I can't wait for the pics!

Trish said...

I think that dreaming of projects is as wonderful as the end result...sometimes even more so. Call me crazy, but my mind is always conjuring up visions...sigh.
Love your color scheme.

Mrs. Mac said...

Love the new color scheme .. very relaxing. Cant' wait to see how you pull it off .. it will be beaUtiful!