Sunday, April 21, 2013

Clean Eating Week 2

Week one of cleaning eating was successful with the focus being to add fruits and vegetables to every meal.  We ate at home every night except one when we had middle eastern food, which is clean by definition.  Although the "right" way to do this is to clear out one's kitchen pantry of all non-clean items like white flour and sugar, we haven't done that.  It's just not feasible financially and I'm not comfortable wasting the food we have purchased.  So we're slowing down our consumption of those items and using them up a bit at a time.  In other words, no, we are not 100% clean.  But the great thing is, every bit of effort toward the goal is helpful.  I made turkey tetrazzini with regular old fettuccine as opposed to whole wheat but I'm ok with that.  It used up the pasta left in the cabinet and the next time I shop, it will be whole grain.  The rest of the ingredients were whole and unprocessed. 
The Mr. is going along with the plan although he's far from sold out on the idea.  For instance, he has what I consider a problem with artificial sweeteners.  He doesn't think it's as troublesome as I do so he's not motivated to eliminate them from his diet.  He drinks quite a lot of tea and pop with that crud in it.  Daboyz and I drink water but we just can't get Dean on that particular bandwagon.  He also eats potato chips with his lunches, baked at least.  There's stuff on those ingredient lists I'm not fond of and if I'm to be truthful, chips are a big temptation to me.  I'd like to eliminate them from our cabinets but for now I'm going to have to learn self-discipline. 
When I talk about this philosophy, people are anxious to hear how we're feeling.  Do I notice immediate results?  I'm willing to share the down & dirty if you really want to know!
As I've mentioned in the past, I've had chronic headaches forever.  When I eliminated artificial sweeteners about a year ago, those disappeared.  I still have monthly hormonal headaches and this month they were as bad as always.  Time will tell if there is a long term improvement.  I was diagnosed with a bleeding ulcer last summer.  With medication, it is tolerable but I still have daily pain and my diet is quite restricted.  This week I got brave after a few days of clean eating and adding ground flax seed to my diet and had chicken fajitas including the dangerous onions and green peppers.  I also had mild fresh salsa.  This would've been a no-no previously and within hours I'd have been doubled over and puking.  No problems with pain or nausea :)  That said, I will admit to having used Motrin (a super no-no) for cramps and migraine connected my cycle and by Thursday my ulcer was raging.  I also have chronic constipation (I warned you!)  I think it's the flax seed thats helping, not to mention the roughage,  but that is better too, and we'll leave it at that. 
Sunday morning I made whole wheat pancakes which I thought were very good.  Mind you, if you're looking for unprocessed and whole options that will be exactly like their white flour/sugar counterparts, you will be disappointed.  Our taste buds need to readjust a bit to these closer to nature options that make our bodies metabolize and work at optimum level.  Those processed and refined ingredients are smooth and sweet but require nothing of our bodies so they just sit in there as fat cells; providing minimal nutrition or fuel and costing maximum damage.  I'll get off my soapbox and share my pancake recipe!

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Agave

I added crushed pineapple in its own juice but any fruit would work if you like fruit in your flapjacks!

Whisk wet and dry ingredients separately the combine.  Cook them like you would any other pancake.  These are pretty filling but not dense and heavy.  I ate 2 small ones and was full.  The Mr. and Mac had two each with eggs.  Donny had one :)

As with any healthy eating plan...water water water! 

Clean eating week 2-Eliminate all fast food!

1 comment:

Mrs. Mac said...

Good for you. And think of all those natural vitamins that are naturally found in unprocessed foods ..

You should ask to be in the 'Good Eats' group (private .. Sister spin off) on FB We post ideas and what we're having for dinner .. very quick and easy and inspiring.