Wednesday, May 14, 2008

After the Tone...


So I turn on my work cell phone after being off for a day and I have a message. Here's the message,
"Hi Sara. This is Uma and I work for __________. My number is____________. Please call me."

Does this drive anyone else crazy? I think perhaps technology has moved faster than etiquette can keep pace. So listen up Uma and all you who leave similar messages.
I WILL NOT return your phone call unless you leave me a message explaining the purpose of your call. I am not at your immediate disposal. I am a busy person and am continuously prioritizing, delegating, doing and re prioritizing. This is true of my professional and private life. If you choose not to share with me the purpose of your phone call, your request for a call-back falls immediately to the bottom of my list.
And don't get me started on those who assume the presence of their phone number on caller i.d. will spring me into call-back action faint with the need to know why they called. Guess what, I don't even have caller i.d. I do not check caller i.d. on my cells. If you are sitting around waiting for me to call because you simply dialed my number and presume that your own number is on a tiny screen to lure me to you, you should pack a picnic lunch because you're gonna be there a while.

It's real simple. "Hi, this is Sara Smith with St. Elsewhere. I am calling to find out about what programs your facility offers for patients with Alzheimer's. My number is_____________. Thanks."
That person will get a return call immediately.

As for personal calls? "Hi, this is Sara. Just checking in to see if you want to get together for a cup of coffee."

Again, I'll be dialing immediately.

As for Uma, I suggest you call back and leave a detailed message if you'd like to speak with me.

Rant complete.

3 comments:

Pat said...

That must have been Uma Thurman...she was looking for Dean.

Margie said...

Hello... Sara, it's Margie, I know you don't like to talk on the phone, so let's schedule dinner soon, panera ok? you can just send me an email since i know you don't like to talk on the phone.loveyou, Margie

Jada's Gigi said...

I hate it too when poeple assume that I know who they are by the tone of their voice..or I suppose caller ID...which doens't work on half of my phones...ack!