Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Measure of Greatness


Like most of us, my grandmother had both a public and a private life. And the two, like most of us, were not always congruent. She was active in community politics which is a passion I did not inherit. It brought her a lot of satisfaction personally as well as recognition within her city. At the funeral home, her badges and awards were displayed on a pedestal. I think she would've liked that. Many years of hard work by a very smart woman were just barely represented by those items. And appropriately, people asked about the display giving us an opportunity to share her accomplishments. She earned that final recognition.
Not having shared her interest in politics, I admire her dedication to the worthwhile cause of bettering life for herself and the citizens around her. But as I sat in the funeral home thinking about my grandma, this was not a measure of greatness for me.
Her greatness, like all true greatness, cannot be represented by objects on a pedestal. It can only be seen by those who measure it more quietly. And so here is Diana's granddaughter's measure of her greatness.
My father went every single day to visit with his mother, be it in her home or in a hospital. His final act of devotion was a determination laid before God that she would not die alone. His prayer was honored and my dad ushered his mother into the arms of her Father.
My son has slept poorly for several days first worrying about her comfort in her final hours and then in grief that she was gone.
My mom ordering food for grandma in the hospital knew her well enough to know she wouldn't want lemon yogurt without needing to ask.
My sister went to the hospital late to trim her nails.
She made each of us special without being favorites by giving us nicknames that were like a special password between us.
And let's not forget, there is a whole new generation of pilaf makers already stepping forward bearing her fingerprints despite never having met her.
I did not inherit my grandmother's love of politics and government. None of that passion lives in me. Still, I think I have a chance at that other measurement of greatness. The greatness of knowing and being known well. The greatness of three generations christened with a nickname all with the same meaning, beloved child.
It is this measure of greatness that I long for. It is this measure of greatness that is my true inheritance.

Philipians 3:8 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ

6 comments:

Trish said...

Your Grandma had that rare gift of making everyone she knew feel special. I will miss her at family celebrations, I will surely miss her wit, what a sense of humor she had!
She was great... there is no measure of her generosity, always willing to give to others.
I am praying for you all.
Love you much,
Trish

Mrs. Mac said...

... in other words ... "Greatness beyond measure" ... from what I've read about your grandma. I made the rice and now my family is hooked on grandma's recipe. Thanks for sharing a little part of her specialness with a complete stranger to her. Hugs

Margie said...

a life well loved!

Kathy said...

:-)

Deb said...

I'm planning to make your Grandmother's pilaf on Sunday. I'll let you know how it turns out.

As for your Grandmother - it sounds as though she was a terrific person --which is not a surprise at all considering the family she has left behind. All of whom are a part of her.

I'm looking forward to meeting her one day when we all gather on that Shore!

...continuing to pray for your family....

Amrita said...

A very special lady she was. She will always live in your hearts. What a personality.