Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Redeemed Hunger


I am on day 5 of my lifestyle change of choosing whole foods. My head tells me it's too soon to feel a difference but then again, the spirit man responds long before the body catches up. I feel good, energetic. I slept really well last night although not the night before. I have a sense of peace with this that I've not had with prior diet programs. Not that the other systems didn't work, I will forever be a WeightWatcher & credit them with changing my life. But I don't feel that struggling uphill feeling. It's so much easier to say, "I don't eat chips" than it is to say, "I can have 11 chips." Yesterday it was blizzarding so on my way home I stopped at our farm market and bought preservative/dye-free cheese (Havarti, cheddar, Colby) & bakery fresh whole grain bread (sour dough & multi grain) without bleached flour. We made good old fashioned simple grilled cheese. I also took advantage of their food counter to buy a small container of tortellini salad, curry chicken salad and grape leaves-all fresh and natural ingredients. We enjoyed a little of this and little of that with our grilled cheese. Low calorie? No. But we're not focusing entirely on that right now. It's ingredients and portion control. One sandwich and a small scoop of tortellini. And 4 grape leaves. Just before bed I had a cup of licorice & chamomile tea which promised to help me sleep.
Understanding that the novelty of this process is new and even exciting; I am hopeful and happy with our decision. We are feeling more satisfied with smaller portions. We are doing less rummaging for snacks because the strawberries or pineapple or raw veggies are already on the schedule and at our fingertips.
My absolute worst time of day is immediately after work and before dinner. I think it's a combination of wanting to de-stress and being ready for dinner but I'm a hog at that time of day. Well, today I came home hungry for a very good reason, I didn't have a lunch break. It happens sometimes. When I got home I had a few slices of pineapple and finished the three left over cheese tortellinis. And I'm fine. Satisfied, shaky feeling subsided and comfortable waiting for dinner.
I know there will be times when it isn't all so positive and times when I say, "Yes I do eat chips and especially with dip!" That's ok because it's not an error it's a deviation off course. It won't destroy the good my body gains by whole food consumption if it doesn't replace the good choices all together.
Today I am down one pound since the weekend and feeling good. Oh, and Jay is still consuming gluten with no reaction! It was like a party over here making him a grilled cheese!
In everything, I am giving thanks!

2 comments:

Debra said...

Both of these posts have been inspiring--thanks! I notice an incredible difference in how I feel when I eat right--I feel so good that it should be, well, illegal or something. :) Best of everything to you with this new lifestyle! Blessings, Debra

Pat said...

I need some of that bread..now!