Monday, December 01, 2008

The Perfect Christmas


What do you need for the perfect Christmas? I know; peace on earth, your health...I know. But of those things that can be done, baked, bought, decorated and wrapped; what do you need? This might sound silly but for the last week, I've been giving careful thought to what makes Christmas perfect for me. And of course, it has nothing to do with the perfect gift.

I like a Christmas tree with too many lights. If I had to choose, I'd have a less-than-perfect sentimental tree over a perfectly themed department store tree. I need a wreath on my door. I need Christmas music although NOT before Thanksgiving. I need Christmas movies. I need baked goodies and pasta salad made with cheese tortellini and pilaf. I need things that either remind me of my childhood or the actual objects from the old days like the elf that hung on my grandma's chandelier and the angel tree topper that reflects wings on the ceiling. I wouldn't mind golden sparkly bells that play Jingle Bells when you pull the chord.

I need my shopping done pretty soon and the gifts wrapped and under the tree for a few weeks.

Hmm. That's all I can think of for now. But I'm determined to know what makes Christmas Christmasy and not wake up on January first and think, "I wish I would've remembered..."

I know these are not the important things. But sometimes if you decorate your life with the unimportant, the serious stuff takes on a softer glow. So what's your perfect Christmas made of?

3 comments:

Constance said...

My perfect Christmas....

One of the thoughts that comes to my mind is how after the kids were all in bed on Christmas Eve, Dave and I would listen to Christmas music and to one song in particuliar,
"Happy Christmas Eve" by ALABAMA.

It was sweet and romantic at the same time.

Connie

Mrs. Mac said...

My perfect Christmas is one that does not last for six weeks. A short version that is relaxed with just a few parties. My children's homemade ornaments on the tree, and my moose lights that I just bought at Cabellas. My record player sits proudly in the parlor with a box of vinyl Christmas albums sitting on the floor. A viewing of "It's a Wonderful Life" and a few other classic movies too. Hot cocoa and kisses under the mistletoe. My noisy kids over for dinner and opening presents.

Deb said...

Growing up, we had one of those gold sparkly bells that played music when you pulled the "pull"...

My perfect Christmas is one filled with the love of my entire family. It seems harder and harder to attain that every year.