Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Being home with, ahem, female issues for a few days has sidelined my work calendar but given me an opportunity to move a little more slowly at home. As the whole food/additive-free diet continues I am continuing to learn how to cook things differently. One of my promised goals this week was baking bread from scratch.

Having read every book in the house and done as much housework as I feel up to, it was time to face the bread. I used the honey wheat recipe off of the Gold Medal Whole Wheat flour bag only I used all whole wheat instead of adding white flour per the recipe. This was not entirely due to a health commitment so much as that I had no white flour in the house! Lesson learned, most whole wheat-using recipes still require some white flour. According to my disorganized research, even replacing half of the flour used with whole wheat is of great benefit. I'll let you know what the vote is on the bread although I can't blame Mr. Gold Medal if it's not a winner this time since I didn't exactly follow the directions.


For dinner, chicken & rice casserole. I even made a roux from the chicken juices instead of the traditional can of cream of ______ soup! Once again, we'll see what the masses think.


Either it'll be a wonderfully wholesome meal of chicken casserole with rice & fresh veggies, home made honey wheat bread and spinach salad OR, it'll be back to the drawing board.


Maybe it's a good thing I am usually at work instead of experimenting!
Update: The bread was a success! Yumalicious! The casserole was good too, although the Mr. didn't like it. Oh well, can't win 'em all!

No comments: