Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Nature Of Satan


1 Peter 5:7-9 (King James Version)
Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: Whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.


Maya Angelou once said when someone shows you who they are, believe them. Yet, I spend much time feeling caught unawares when the enemy comes against me. I'm embarrassed to say that it can take me some time to find the hand of satan pushing pain in my direction, it so often feels out of the blue. This then is why it is so much the utter demand of the Christian to be slow to respond to the hurt and disappointment delivered on us by those with faces. They are only the courier of the one who keeps his face hidden. For myself, I am often my own courier.
I had a week with one or two or ten blows to my feelings, offenses against my sense of honor as well as my heart. I so wanted to speak to the offenses, if not the offenders, but found myself with only emotional words that felt weightless in my mouth. My speeches were without substance even before they were spoken and I wanted satisfaction, so I continued to wrestle with my responses trying to form words that would bear weight. Like trying to write a poem, no two sentences would link.
By this morning I found myself with a heavy but very quiet spirit. Even the emotional weightless words had deserted me. In the miraculous way of the Holy Spirit, he was found where I did not expect him. On a rainy Sunday when I could find no benefit to being at work, God awaited me.
There was no word of wisdom spoken to me today, in fact I had very few conversations at all. I did my usual routine of rounds and settled into my office, popping in a gospel CD. A tiny flicker sparked in my spirit, a hunger began to grow until the noise of it drowned out the noise of my weightless words. For no reason other than the prompting of the Spirit of God, I googled a local church (Second Ebenezer) and linked to You Tube to listen to their choir while I worked.
And here, with a choir of worshipers, battle was done on my behalf by strangers. No answers came. No speeches to right the injustices were inspired. Instead I sat at my desk losing track of time for 2 hours with tears washing away my make-up.
There is great beauty in recognizing the face of satan, for he cannot exist in the absence of the Face of God. When I turned to point my finger at my attacker, heaven shifted and my enemy was defeated. Satan was brought down in the spirit, the weapons of Christ were launched when I was broken into a courier of worship.
Like Jacob who wrestled with the angel, you must insist of God, I will not let go until you bless me. In the presence of God, there is no desire to bless myself with my own justice.
May God bless you with brokenness.

John 10:10The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

No comments: