Monday, February 13, 2012

Chicken Pasta




Today I found myself at home wanting to make something delicious for dinner but nothing particular in mind. So I gathered a bunch of whatever was on hand and came up with the following (it was wonderful!)

6 boneless chicken breasts (I used what I had thawed before I had a plan.)
1 pkg frozen broccoli
Cream cheese (one package)
Fettuccine
Parsley, salt, pepper, garlic

In a deep skillet, I covered the chicken breasts with broth, brought it to a boil and reduced to simmer for about an hour. After an hour, discard most of the broth and shred the chicken. Add parsley, salt, pepper and garlic. Add package of frozen broccoli and continue to simmer until broccoli is warmed through.
Prepare fettuccine per package directions.
As fettuccine is cooking, throw one package of cream cheese into chicken and broccoli mixture. Stir into chicken continue stirring until cream cheese is melted into mixture. This will be quite thick, don't worry!
After fettuccine is done, reserve 1-2 cups of the water from the pasta and drain the rest.
Return pasta to pan, dump in chicken mixture and slowly add in reserved pasta water until desired consistency.
Done!

With it I served a salad of field greens, sliced strawberry, walnuts, tomato, cucumber and green onion with balsamic vinegar & olive oil. We had a loaf of Delray Hungarian rye, I mixed Herbs (sea salt, cracked black pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic, oregano, parsley) and drizzled olive oil over it for dippin'.

Great dinner! Much better than alfredo sauce from a jar and sooooo easy! Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics but I'm sure it's not all that difficult to picture. :)

3 comments:

Pat said...

sounds delish!

Debra said...

Sounds good...... and..... happy Valentine's Day to you, Sara! I'm glad I met you in Blogland, for you make it awfully sweet around here. :) Hugs, Debra

Margie said...

that's how I've made my alfredo sauce for awhile now, so good. I only bought it out of a jar once... smelled it and didn't eat it.