Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Whatsoever Wednesday


Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians 4:8

I was thinking of this scripture the other day...whatsoever things are...and it reminded me of similar words that go through my mind when I am frustrated...whatever!  What a difference a few letters make.  What if, in my frustration, I changed my reaction from that aggravated statement, "Whatever!" to a holy perspective.  What potential for healing, joy and wisdom might be found in shifting the paradigm in those moments to consciously and purposefully running a spiritual inventory of the honest, just, pure, lovely, good virtuous and of the ultimate expression of wonderful;  praise.
If darkness and light cannot exist together, the darkness must flee in the presence of light.  So then, it stands to reason, frustration would flee in the presence of all of that goodness.  I've been praying lately for some increase in wisdom, some better way to be.  I want a higher level of closeness to God. I want to live a life of hind's (deer) feet in high places.


The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places.
 Habakkuk 3:19

Sometimes we mistakenly believe that in the pursuit of things holy, we have to lose interest in everything in the world.  I would argue that we must stop pursuing things the world has to offer.  The world, as in the creation of God and the world, as in the people of it, are two different things.  The world is a lovely place when we train our eyes on the good creation of the Lord.  But it is divided, it is struggling against submission to its creator and the arrogance of men.  The problem is that instead of thinking of ourselves as an offering to the world, we give ourselves credit for what we accomplish. 

So I propose Whatsoever Wednesdays.  I'm going to offer something every Wednesday that I find renewing and refreshing, things that would fit into the Philippians list. Sometimes the items might be obviously spiritual and other times, they will be the stuff that just brings me happiness.  Because I believe that the stuff in the second category is spiritual too. 

Today's Whatsoever Thing?

Long car rides in pretty places.  Charming neighborhoods, state parks, country roads, whatsoever is your thing.  Inexpensive as you make it.  For me, a couple of bologna sandwiches in a cooler and a cup of coffee in a thermos makes it all the simpler and sweeter.  Planning ahead just enough to make some cookies or lemonade to go with; ahhhh!  A day trip, a long weekend or a week on the road.  If you aren't sure where to start, try your state's web site.  Michigan has tons of road trips. If you're trying to think of a post for today, and you've taken one of these car rides, would you share?  I'd love to hear about your version of today's Whatsoever Thing!

No comments: