Monday, April 14, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad!


Today is my dad's birthday so if you'd like to celebrate with him, stop by Border's. That is his office.
I remember getting yellow roses from my dad for Valentine's Day because I was born in Texas. I remember getting candy in a heart shaped box every year too. I remember my dad working on prom night but coming to the house in the rescue wearing his uniform (and dragging another firefighter along) to see me in my dress. I remember being taught to swim in my grandma's pool with his quiet and gentle lessons. I remember reaching up to hold his hand in K-Mart because he was so tall. I remember having my head anointed with oil and being prayed for out loud when I was sick in bed. I remember a special Christmas gift every year just from him. I remember scuba gear in the closet in the garage. I remember riding behind him slowly in circles on Avalon street when he got a motor cycle. I remember a green Chevy Luv and an orange van and an old blue pick-up from Bronson. I remember a green Army tent in the back yard to play in, until Daisy threw up and it smelled bad in there. I remember a full beard shaved off to become a fireman. I remember candy in a plastic garbage can when he was a garbage man. I remember his Royal Ranger's uniform that matched Tom's and Pinewood derby every year. I remember being allowed to shoot skeet and bow and arrows.
I remember him always remembering it was my birthday and calling me no matter where he was or where I was.
I bet if you know my dad, you have some "I remembers" too. And you can be sure he remembers you.
Happy birthday dad!

Pic: The family at Mac's high school football game. I remember my dad being the king of tail gaters!

7 comments:

Margie said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Trish said...

I remember a big man with a heart even bigger. I remember a man who cried with joy when I became pregnant with Kell and is never ashamed of his tears! I remember a
friend who is always there... who loves you unconditionally !!!
Happy Birthday Hal!!!!

Pat said...

You remember lots of stuff!
He is the king of tail gaters..for sure!
Happy birthday honey!

Louise said...

Happy Birthday Hal!

Kell said...

I remember an ambulance in my drive way and someone saying over the speaker "Hey you kids, get off the fence." I had my first heart attack that day. Happy Birthday!!! I love you!!

Deb said...

Happy Birthday Hal!!!
May God bless your socks off!

Jada's Gigi said...

Wonderful "I remembers"! I don't have a dad like that sad to say...but you are blessed! Loved catchingup on your goings on..sounds like youare settling in your new house nicely. sorry its Michigan and not necessarily spring...:)