Sunday, September 07, 2008

Good Enough For Me And Ellen Mc Gee


And here we have another of those all important posts. What kind of shoes should I wear to work? The seasons are changing here in Michigan and I have to pick up a few items for work. This time last year I was wearing scrubs, now I wear "business casual." I'm not entirely sure what that means either than every day I feel markedly over or under dressed and always uncomfortable.
The biggest issue is shoes. I love shoes, truly I do. But I also have very bad feet that hurt after approximately 10 minutes standing on them. Too much arch hurts my flat feet. Not enough arch and I have a back ache. I work on hard hospital floors all day and at times I'm involved in physical management. My workplace was built by the architects of Hogwarts, none of the floors match up and there are stairs everywhere.
Now consider business wear daily that require finding suitable black and brown shoes at the very least. Slight heel, flat heel, etc. It's ridiculous. It's a ton of money for constant discomfort causing me to go back to the store to spend more money to be uncomfortable again. And I am such a t-shirt and jeans girl anyway.
So this is what I lay before the jury for consideration. I am seriously considering wearing tennis shoes every day regardless of my clothing. It will save me physical pain. It will save me money. But it will also look like I am wearing gym shoes with dress clothes because basically, I will be.
Years ago business women in New York started wearing gym shoes with their suits. Cybill Shephard used to wear them with everything stating that she refused to cause herself back pain and damage for the sake of a pair of pretty shoes. Here's what I'm thinking, you have to work the look to make it work. I think Ellen (who likes many things I do not like. Or at least one thing) has a good jump on the funky smart casual gym shoes look.
So before I start building my wardrobe, give me some ideas. Then I will think about them and shoot them down one by one and do my own thing.

Thanks!

7 comments:

Margie said...

ok... life is way too short for ugly shoes. Ugh. Ok, there I said it, but by that I do not mean uncomfortable shoes... never will you see me in a pair that hurt my feet. Nope.

Nine West are THE best shoe, but they are also expensive and you can hardly EVER find them on clearance, but alas, still my faves.

Affordable, cute, comfy shoes. Worthington at JCPenney. I love them. I just got a great pair, on clearance for $8.00 which were the EXACT pair I did pay $40 for. I liked them that much, and heck they were only $8.

What is it about your posts that make me ramble? sheesh. Maybe we need to have Panera. We can hit famous footwear while we are over there.

BTW Target shoes... not usually comfortable.

Louise said...

There's little to really think about ... why wear anything that will make foot pain worse??? I too deal with foot pain ... gets really bad at times ... I refuse to wear anything with a heel. I've found casual shoes that I wear with most everything even remotely 'dressy' (I simplify that by not getting too dressy anymore) and I wear good gym shoes the remainder of the time. Don't make the pain worse Thara, your precious feet & the rest of you, will thank you for it!

Deb said...

this is not a tough decision.

wear gym shoes.

who cares if people think they don't "go" with your outfit.

be comfortable.

as for me....I'm wearing scrubs and new balance tennis shoes...

:)

Pat said...

I suggest your sock monkey slippers...they fit right in your work surroundings.

Margie said...

yeah... those slippers... they're pretty sweet ;)

Robin said...

go for the comfort and health of your feet-they will thank you in the long run!!!!!

tina fabulous said...

let us not forget that house, my personal hero, wears tennis shoes. he is fabulous at all times.