Monday, September 08, 2008

Just Thankful

This evening is just one of those times I have to say, "thank you Lord." In the old days, it might be a testimony shared on Sunday evening; standing up to tell the congregation what God has done. I think those old days were wiser days. Too often now I find myself thanking God belatedly for his constant care.
Driving to work this morning at 8:00 a.m. on the Southfield freeway, the car in front of me slammed on his brakes. I hit him, the guy behind me hit me, a fourth guy hit him. Three impacts that felt pretty hard from my seat. My head bounced back on the head rest a few times and I was thrown against my seat belt. Car number one kept right on driving. Myself and car number three stopped. Car number four didn't stop. The gentleman who hit me was named Les. I want to take a moment to thank the Lord for this sweet guy who could've been frustrated or even angry. We got out to survey our vehicles parked on the Southfield embankment near Six Mile. I was astonished to look at my truck and find no damage. Looking closely there's a slight dent on my tail gate. You'd never see it if you didn't know to check. I went around front where I'd hit car number one. Nothing. Les, however, was looking at his SUV with broken head lights, smashed grill, accordion hood and some kind of clear liquid pouring out from under the front end.
I asked him if he was okay. His response, "I'm fine baby. Don't worry. Wasn't your fault, wasn't my fault." We exchanged information and went on our way. He shook my hand and smilingly said, "It's sure a pretty day. Just as good as any to have to call off and get my car fixed."
I got back into my truck and waiting for the freeway traffic to open up I thanked God for not only keeping my body safe, but protecting my truck and even putting this sweet man in the car behind me.
So tonight I've got a sore back, stiff neck and a head ache. But a heart thankful for a four car accident that reminded me that I am watched over even when I haven't asked to be.

Proverbs 2:7-8 He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones.

p.s. Marty, what law enforcement agency do I make a police report with on the Southfield at 6 Mile? State? County? Detroit?

4 comments:

Trish said...

Praise the Lord! He is faithful!!!

Deb said...

I'm rejoicing that the accident wasn't worse, that He had His angels there protecting you --and praying that the physical effects will go away quickly!

tina fabulous said...

i'm glad youre okay!!

Louise said...

So thankful you're okay!