Friday, February 10, 2006

But Lord, I Stink!

I received an e mail from our Life Development Pastor, Mike, on Wednesday. I believe it was a mass mailing, either that or someone snitched on me. The topic was hospitality. I have hospitalitosis. My hospitality stinks.
It’s not that I don’t like people but I like them best “over there” as opposed to “right here”. I know, that’s terrible, shocking, appalling. My feelings are based not on them but on me. You see, I just don’t think I’m all that interesting. When I sidle up to someone to get all hospitable on them, I feel like they’re thinking, “who is this freak and why won’t she go away?”
Then there’s hospitality grad school; inviting people to your home. Lord have mercy. That sends chills up my spine. You see, my home is no more fabulous than I am. Again; I feel inadequate. It’s not big enough, fancy enough, in the right neighborhood, clean enough...I guess it’s the perfect house for me since I’m not smart enough, cute enough, clever enough, entertaining enough, spiritual enough....A sad little woman in a sad little house. Cue the violin music.
Hospitality: noun, the friendly and/or generous treatment of friends or strangers. That’s all. I stink at the friendly and generous treatment of friends or strangers.
When I said it’s based on me and not them, that was really hitting the nail on the head. It’s about me. Let’s talk about me. ME ME ME ME ME! I guess hospitality is not so much ME-based. My comfort or discomfort. It’s not about getting them to like ME; it’s about generosity of spirit. About giving away a moment, an hour, a gesture or a smile. The goal isn’t to receive positive feedback on my hospitality skills. It’s for them. It’s supposed to move outward, not project inward. Kind of like serving, kind of like love, kind of like Jesus.
So Mike, Life Development Guru to the stars is ever attempting to make us act like Jesus. I think he should get an annual bonus for Sara Issues. He smiles as I sing my theme song, ME ME ME ME ME! and then he gently shows me a better way. And he has this irritating thing, he and his wife (and even his kids for goodness sake!) of being so doggone sincere and sweet that he tricks you into actually attempting said Christ-likeness. So in his dastardly manner, he includes this verse in the hospitality e mail...

Romans 12:13 (New International Version)
13Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

He was focusing on the word hospitality. I cued in to the word practice. I need to practice. I need to work on the development of this skill. He even gave a few easy steps toward eliminating hospitalitosis. Crud.
So, ok. Maybe they won’t like me, maybe I’ll look stupid, maybe my house is just a plain little house. But maybe it’s time to find a new theme song. Maybe it’s time for a little practice. So if I run in to you; consider yourself my guinea pig. And if I don’t, stop by the house for a cup of coffee. I’ll make you feel right at home. Because it’s not about me. Hospitality, it’s all about you and Him.
Thanks Mike.

No comments: