Sunday, February 05, 2006

Super

Matthew 5:14 (New International Version)

14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.

I was going to leave this verse standing alone as my blog post but I'm compelled to do some self-examination on what I take from it.
Superbowl is here in Detroit and oh the preparations and hoopla. It's ridiculous. I like Superbowl as much as the next guy because my dad makes tons of fattening appetizers and I eat until my eyelids swell shut, so I'm not a Superbowl hater. But give me a break.
Back to the city on a hill. I have a little thing I do in regard to scripture study where I take the first and second half of a verse and flip them to see if I get any different perspective. So here goes...You can't hide a city on a hill. You are the light of the world. Clever, no?
My manager at work was telling me that all the formerly boarded up buildings surrounding the old Hudson's are now full of businesses and looking ever so prosperous. There are signs and kiosks and volunteers wearing very official looking lanyards posted all over the fair City of Detroit to guide folks to the hotspots. The Motown Winterblast is underway with imported fake snow that Fox 2 News has been updating daily...is it melting? is it freezing? cover it with a tarp! Dignitaries of varying backgrounds are hosting parties promised to be the be all end all party. Some tickets are still available! You can rent a spot at Eastern Market for $30 per spot/per day to tailgate. The possibilities of festive fabulousness are endless.
Another person at work was telling me what Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick said, "Send 'em downriver." Not the dignitaries and athletes, nor the journalists. Mayor Kilpatrick was referring to the homeless. Oh no, we haven't forgotten the homeless! You see, there are any number of shelters with limited hours within city limits so when the beds are full or the shelter is not open; the homeless wander around looking decidedly unfabulous. If you drive into the city, take a peek into the space under the overpasses. It's a whole culture, a whole subcity, a whole society of people. Ugly people. Superbowl week is not the time for ugly people.
So here's the plan; you can check this out; it's true. Shelters are going to extend their hours, especially those outside of city limits. Open 24 hours where usually they close in the early morning and reopen in the evenings. Three meals a day are being served where generally there is one evening meal; often soup. Extra beds, blankets, and even clothing in some locations are available. Many shelters are providing large screen television sets so the ugly people can attend their own Superbowl party, out of sight of the fabulous people.
But you can't hide a city on a hill. My interpretation...you can't hide who you are. You can relocate the ugly temporarily, but it doesn't mean the ugly went away forever. You know, it's not even a secret that Detroit is exporting the homeless! It's a fact and everyone thinks it's great! Well, let me rephrase that, the Fabulous think it's great. The mediocre of downriver may feel otherwise. Kwame didn't take a poll.
It doesn't matter to me though, right? Yeah, actually it does. Because like Detroit, I can't hide what I am; I can only clean it up and try to relocate the ugly when I need to. Also like Detroit, nobody really believes the ugly doesn't exist, they just agree to party around it.
Sad how we would prefer to hide the ugly than to confront it. I'm the light of the world and the world is running headlong into brick walls. Apparently, I'm a bit dim. Still, I can't be hidden. Only the ugly tries to hide.
Here's another take on the topic; one of my greatest fears is that people will be surprised to hear I'm a Christian. It's scarier to hide well than to expose the ugly. I have moments when I imagine someone saying, "I didn't know you were a Christian!" Oh no.
So there are my two flipped around inside out insights. I can't hide who I am. The ugly remains even when it's relocated if I don't confront it. And I can't hide who I am. If someone is surprised I'm a Christian, am I?
So I live everyday trying to be brave enough to coax the ugly in myself into the daylight. To take responsibility for what lives in the dark corners of my heart and mind. To ask for forgiveness and to believe in grace. I'm not really hiding, even when I think I am; so it's a bit pointless to keep playing that game. I am not perfect. I try to ship the junk into some other place when my pride rears up, when I'm attempting to make a good impression. And we all dance around each other, we all agree that we don't see the ugly, that we don't have anything to hide. God is a better mayor though, sorry Kwame. God says that I can keep cleaning out the ugly and party at the same time. As long as I admit that it's there, He will keep coaxing it out of my life. It's not about perfection guys, it's about honesty. It's about integrity. It's about being on a hill with a spotlight shining on us.
I am an unhidden city on a hill, with ugliness living under the overpasses. I am a Christian.

1 comment:

SunnySusan said...

Wonderful post Sara very open and honest.