Friday, February 24, 2006

Mr. Caleb

(thursday, feb. 23, 2006)
My husband ventured into new territory last night. No, not that!
He taught our life group. You see, ‘round here I’m the teacher and he’s the musician and we have those roles pretty clear. But last night we had life group and I had this weird pull in my back (still hurts by the way). By the time he got home from work I was laying on a heating pad feeling very sorry for myself, and unable to go to group.
I gave him two choices, cancel or go teach it himself. I was sure he’d cancel. The old guy has a few surprises left because he did a quick read-through of my notes and off he went!
I laid on the couch and eventually drifted off to sleep.
He came home and reported a good group. Shared what he talked about, the manna principle and the grasshopper complex ie. Israel’s daily provision in the wilderness and the reports of the spies about the Promised Land.
He was happy and pleased with the evening. And I was impressed. I didn’t hear his teaching, obviously; but I was impressed with his willingness.
It would’ve made sense for him to cancel. No one would’ve held it against him. But his heart spoke louder. I’m proud of him for it and I’m challenged myself. When there is a list of pros and cons, I generally take the road that makes “sense”. Musicians don’t teach life groups. The wife is laying on the couch with a bad back. Stay home. Cancel. Bonus night off.
Not my Mr. He was compelled not by the list of pros and cons, but by the group of people he’s committed to serve in life group. A higher calling, you might say.
He reminds me of Caleb, the central character of last night’s “Grasshopper Complex” story. The spies had gone in to survey the land and most of them said no way. Too many giants. Too hard. We’re too small, we’re grasshoppers. Caleb saw things differently. He saw opportunity. He was excited for the chance to grab some new territory, to walk where he hadn’t walked before. I learned a lot from life group last night after all.

Numbers 13:30 (New International Version)
30 Then Caleb silenced the people before Moses and said, "We should go up and take possession of the land, for we can certainly do it."

No comments: