Monday, February 13, 2006

My Best Friend Evander Holyfield

Psalm 126:3
3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.


I think Evander Holyfield just gave me a handbill. Well, I’m not actually positive it was him but it sure looked like him.
I was coming home from the grocery store and opening my front door. It’s pretty cold here in Michigan today. 26 Fahrenheit/Windchill in the teens. Shiver. I’m wearing very fashionable white long underwear under my sweat pants. Don’t be jealous.
Anyway, I was turning to walk back to my truck thinking about how my very eyeballs were freezing when Evander bounded up smiling like nobody’s business and handed me a handbill. I said to Evander, “Hey, how are ya!” and Evander said “I’m beautiful!” and I said, “Have a good one!” and he said, “You too my dear, you too.” Still smiling, off Evander went with his satchel full of handbills. Still smiling. In the cold.
This whole exchange lasted about five seconds but he was so radiantly joyful, I found myself assuming Evander was a Christian. He was just shining. Handing out handbills in the freezing cold and probably not getting paid all that many millions to do it. Joyful man walking.
Do you ever run across people who just seem to shine and you wonder if you’re looking at a Christian? I do. Last week in the grocery store, Tuesday at the hospital. Shiny joyous people. I like those people. I kind of wanted to hang out with Evander and find out what was so great that he was smiling while my teeth chattered.
We’re drawn to joy, aren’t we? It’s a magnet. The other side of the coin is that being a Debby Downer is repellant. It’s true, deal with it.
I want to be like my good friend Evander. I am not sure I’m all that shiny on a daily basis. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t exude his degree of joy whilst handing out pizza coupons during a deep freeze. But I’m inspired. I’ve got good reason to smile.

You give me joy that's unspeakable; And I like it, and I like it yeah
Your love for me is irresistible; I can't fight it, I can't fight it yeah
You carried the cross and took my shame; I believe it, I believe it yeah
You shine your light of amazing grace; I receive it, I receive it yeah
(Newboys-Joy)

1 comment:

Pat said...

That song's been playing in my brain for days....and I like it, yeah!