Thursday, February 16, 2006

A River Runs Through It

Do you ever wake up and realize that this definition of your life is going to be changing soon? That’s us, or at least that’s me.
Nothing unpredictable or unexpected has appeared on the horizon. Just the normal ebb and flow of life bringing the next bend in the river. I’m not shaken up by it but I’m interested. I’m curious. There are no templates for life now.
I look in the mirror and I can’t kid myself; there’s a middle-aged woman looking back. I glance up as the Mr. comes in from work and he looks tired and, well, old(er). But that’s not what this river is turning toward.
Someone else’s life is redefining. This river is branching off. A tributary is forming even as I watch in wonder. My son is graduating from high school. My son took his ACTs. My son was admitted to college. My son is growing up.
I’m glad that the river divides slowly and gently. I’ve no doubt this boy will be his own rushing river, larger and more powerful than we ever were. Right now he’s stepping away a little at a time. He can still feed from our waters and I thank God that he does. I need to still have him as part of us, but I know my time is growing short. He’ll go in his own direction very soon.
Cap and gown have been ordered. Graduation party date is set. He gets mail almost daily from the university he will attend in the fall. High school days are fading.
Someone asked me if I lose sleep worrying about tuition. No. I don’t have it in the bank but I’m goofy with faith. If we had been living on our own abilities, this river would’ve run dry long ago.
My son is a good man. He will do great things. I pray for him, for his provision, tuition, safety, future. I didn’t just start that last week, been praying for him since I was younger than he is now. Since before I met his dad. He’s been in the hands of heaven for a long time now.
My son is branching off, become his own entity. We’ve not done everything right; but we’ve done most things with our faces turned toward God. I know that’s enough. My son will be moving away from us more everyday, cutting his own path through the world. He will do more than I hope to do in my life. My son, named for the river of God’s Chosen, is God’s chosen. His life will flow from it’s original source. That was never me. Flow on my River Jordan.

Amos 5:24
24 But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!

Revelation 22
1Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb

1 comment:

Pat said...

How sweet to savor every moment and "season" of you life, no matter where the river flows. You and the Mr. have molded and guided Jordan into the man he has become, sit back and smile, I am as soon as I stop crying from joy.