Tuesday, March 28, 2006

LOL

I had a moment of hysterical laughter the other day. I was on the phone with my mom and going through the mail when Jay’s financial aid award letter from U of M. arrived. I opened it. He got some assistance. Not enough. I started to smile. And then it listed the expected “parental contribution”. I got the giggles. Then I doubled it to account for next year when Mac starts college. Something snapped and I went into uncontrollable laughter.
Have you ever seen the scene in Mary Poppins when Uncle Arthur is laughing himself silly and floating around the room? That was me.
My mom was not initially amused by the amount offered to our boy but I guess at being an ear- witness to her daughter’s final breakdown she figured why not join the fun? She started laughing too. There we were, two grown women who had before this moment been doing a fine job of feigning sanity. We lost it. We laughed for a few more minutes, blew our noses, wiped our eyes and hung up the phone.
I won’t tell you what he got in assistance or what our expected contribution is because it’s none of your business and I don’t want to give myself a laughter headache by starting up again.
Why, you might ask, were we laughing so hard? Are we crazy? Yeah, that’s actually it exactly. Crazy faith. So crazy with faith that we’re beyond fighting with the stuff we can see and just waiting around for the sea to part, the manna to fall, the fish to cough up the coins (that one would be really good right about now).
I’ve never known God to fail and I’ve given Him plenty of opportunities to turn and walk away. He likes me. He likes my kids. We prove that He’s a miracle worker pretty much constantly as we are in constant need of miracles.
I’m not saying I don’t have my moments of doubt, fear, worry and tension but today was a good old fashioned crazy faith day.
When you realize you can’t count on yourself you’re on the road to seeing how big God is. So if you’re up against something that seems insurmountable and undoable, I promise you God is just warming up. Grab a tissue and get ready for a belly laugh.
That’s so good, it’s a two-verser!

Hebrews 11:1
1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Psalm 37:25
I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread.

No comments: