Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Real World

Good morning!
If you're an early morning blogger, you've probably come and gone because there was nothing here. But now there is, come back!
I usually write lots of blogs and save them, getting up early and posting them day by day but today the getting up early didn't happen. And then the saved posts didn't rock my world. So I'm going off the cuff today for anyone who happens by later.
In case you're wondering and I know you are; why I'm so late, I slept in. Just woke up at around 8:40 a.m. I'm not looking too great right now. All because God answered my prayers.
I really wanted to go to church this coming Sunday but I'm scheduled to work. But I really wanted to go. REALLY. So I prayed about it and asked the Mr. to pray about it and sent out a few e mails asking some others to pray with me. Basically that got added to my daily prayer list which also included this standard, "Lord I need some money!"
So Monday morning I went into work and my boss asked me to work Thursday, my day off. I said yes. Doggone it, yes. Drat.
Then he came back and asked me to work a double on Monday. So I took a big breath and asked if I could work that double in exchange for Sunday off? (please please please please). And he said........"Sure!"
So I worked sixteen hours Monday and back for eight more Tuesday and slept twelve hours last night trying to recover. So I didn't post early this morning. And I'm really tired and looking unfabulous. And I lost my Thursday off.
And God answered my prayers.
I picked up a shift adding eight hours of pay for Thursday and traded the double Monday for my Sunday off. Answered prayer, I guess. Not answered the way I wanted, I'll tell ya that much!
I had visions of my boss telling me I wasn't needed Sunday why don't I just take the day off. And as far as the money thing, I am forever waiting for my millions to fall from heaven for no apparent reason. Like manna. It's totally scriptural.
But God goes and answers prayers in real world ways that sometimes I don't even notice and on bad days I downright resent or reject.
I want money! Here's a job! No thank you! I want money! But, here's this job... No! I want money! But you could make some money if you did this job. No! I want money!
I want Sunday off! OK, work a double to do your boss a favor and he'll find favor with you. No! I want Sunday off! But I arranged a need in your job that will provide the opportunity. No! I want Sunday off!
And so it goes. I like miracle answers but more often I get real world answers. Answered prayer is often spelled opportunity (I hope I spelled that right, I'm very sleepy). A chance to make my way through on my own feet, using my own mind and muscles. I think I've categorized some prayers unanswered when the truth was I didn't take the initiave to walk out the answer provided.
I'm a spoiled child crying "I want, I need, Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!" I have spiritual silver platter syndrome, give it to me on a silver platter and I will praise you. I would've been an Israelite in the dessert complaining a blue streak. I would've been standing at the Egypt exit ramp asking God to deliver me from this terrible walk before me. I would've been the woman in the tent when the manna fell who said, "What is this?" (insert hilarious Jewish accent here).
Back door answers to prayer. They happen every day. God will provide a way out I've often been told. I guess that means He ain't gonna pick me up and set me down on the other side of my situation but He will give me the chance to work it through.
So thank God, for doubles and extra shifts and Sunday off. For answers that I received and said, "What is this?" For letting me be, as my friend Mike says, a part of the story. The story of this life...walking to the promised land on my own two feet courtesy of Christ.
See ya in church on Sunday.

Psalm 69:17 (New International Version)
17 Do not hide your face from your servant; answer me quickly, for I am in trouble.


No comments: