Friday, May 12, 2006

Dear Jay & Mac,


Psalm 112:1-2
1[a] Praise the LORD. [b]
Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who finds great delight in his commands.
2 His children will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed



Dear Jay & Mac,
Wow, how time has flown and how life has changed. Seems like I’m still trying to figure out how to raise little ones and you guys are adults.
Life is so different now. Some of it easier, some harder, mostly I’m forever working out how to do this part of life now, today, and do it right. Sometimes I feel like I should just ask you, what do you need from me? What do you need out of your mother now? Now that you know so much, now that you can basically care for yourself, what do I do?
Time was that keeping you healthy, fed, relatively clean and concussion free was a day well spent. It sure seemed hard at the time but now the tasks before me are less clearly defined. More and more often you say or do things that make me realize, you’re passing me by. You’re smarter than I am. You’re wiser and kinder and a better person than I am. You have much to teach me and I have little to teach you any longer. But we have a few years left to live under the same roof. What can I give you in our time here in this house?
I’ve been thinking and praying about this lately and I believe I have the answer, my sweet boys. I give you what I always have, you can depend on me and I will depend on God. When I have food poisoning and you come home from school and announce that you need four home made cakes for National Honor Society to take to a homeless shelter tomorrow, I will drag myself off the couch and make four home made cakes, Jay. And when you are packing for a cruise and you announce that you can’t find any of your boxer shorts I will go to Wal Mart and buy you all new underwear, Mac.
When you apply for college I will find a way to pay your tuition. I’ll be the loudest voice in the football stands. I’ll be your safety net and your soft place to land.
I won’t do any of this on my own, as you well know. And this my boys, is my greatest offering to you. I will daily lay you before the throne of God. If there is a blessing to be given, a healing to be had or a request to be made; I will be on my knees for you until my final breath.
So I guess things really haven’t changed all that much, have they? To everything there is a season, and yet the constant remains. You can depend on me and I will depend on God.
And you my sweet boys, will be mighty and blessed.
Happy Mother’s Day guys.

2 comments:

Margie said...

That's 3 out of 4 days you have made me cry!!

Great Blog. God has blessed you in so many ways!!

tina fabulous said...

stop making my emotions surface!

and i dont appreciate your threats of unveiling pictures of days gone by... i have incriminating photos too, my dear friend!

(insert evil laugh here)