Monday, December 04, 2006

Jack Frost Nipping At Your Nose


The Mr., Daboyz, Dad & Mom, sister Amy and guest Sara (a different Sara)and I went to Greenfield Village for what may become a yearly tradition. I'll tell ya when we thaw out. Kathy and Brooke were scheduled to come along too but Miss B got an earache and ended up staying home to all of our disapopintment. I think we have to go again next year just to include the two absentees!
Anyway, for the first time in my life, I had chestnuts roasted on an open fire. A steaming warm paper bag full. Let me tell you, fire-roasted chestnuts are high on Christmasiness and Yuletide fun. And gross. Nonetheless we passed them around, peeling off the woody shell to nibble away at the spongy meat-like inner-nut. Then we smilingly offered each other the remainder of the bag. Then I crammed them into Mac's backpack when he wasn't looking.
So I have in my possession roughly 20 leftover now cold chestnuts roasted on an open fire. I gave some to the dog and it was good times for several minutes while she spit them out, rolled around on them and tried to break them open. When I finally peeled one for her and gave her the nut itself, she spit it out and walked away. Jazz lacks Christmas spirit if you ask me.
So I'm thinking I might go buy some miniature wreathes and hot glue those bad boys on them for each of we Greenfield Villagers as a keepsake of the evening. I'm not at all artsy craftsy but I think I could manage that. Perhaps I could fashion some kind of Christmas ornament or something. Or some earrings for my mom.
Next year we will probably have forgotten that we were so cold we couldn't feel the snot dripping off our noses and that our legs actually stung as they thawed. We will have rewritten history so that the pitch black danger of the Village paths will have become lit with the golden glow of kerosene lanterns along the way (which throw off less than no light, let me tell you.)
We will call the $2.00 hot cocoa worth the price and laughingly pull out the long-johns and yank our hats down to our eyeballs.
My guess is off we'll go en masse to Greenfield Village Holiday Evenings because this crowd only needs one go at something before we grab it, call it a tradition and claim it as our own.
Will I buy another bag of chestnuts roasted on an open fire?
Sure.
My mom's gonna need a necklace to go with those earrings.

9 comments:

Sara said...

hey, did any of you kids notice the late breaking u tube i added to saturday's post? very spiritual stuff there.

Pat said...

Never mind the U tube...I don't want chestnut earings, maybe a chestnut key ring, but not earings.

Becky said...

:)

Margie said...

BG, i really think you need the earrings, maybe Sara can sell them at craft shows and she will need a model. She'll make lots of money... food is in fashion don't you know

Where's the pics?

MSU gal said...

i think you need to make keepsakes for the abesentees who sat home, crying and coughing, coughing and crying.

Anonymous said...

you should carry the chestnuts around and just start hitting people in the face with them at close range whenever they say something you disagree with. it really gives new meaning to "open fire".

Jada's Gigi said...

too funny! and so true! seems we always remember the fun and forget the trouble ...remember the joy and forget the pain...well we remember that it was painful but forget what it felt like..lol...sounds like a lot of fun to me. :)

Tonya said...

Maybe a ring also! Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!

Deb said...

Sara, I so look forward to your posts - they always make me smile --and today, especially, I needed to smile. Thanks.