Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas!


They used to wake us up before dawn to see if Santa came, now we often get out of bed early and make noise hoping they'll awaken to join us.
They've had Christmases of wild extravagance and those when a new winter coat was their main gift.
Now they watch A Charlie Brown Christmas with me because they know I love it.
Their eyes sparkle when the old Christmas ornaments are unpacked as they remember the years gone by. They talk about the days when their Great Grandpas were alive and how thankful they are for the memories.
We don't go see Santa at the mall anymore and we don't get special Christmas pictures taken in velvet knee pants and Peter Pan shirts. No more treasure hunts for "guys" led by clues and maps made by their dad on Christmas morning (this was how they found their action figures in the old days.)
Jay can't eat wheat, maybe Mac can't either. No more sticky buns and hot sweet tea on Christmas morning. It's coffee all around, or maybe cocoa. We use my Gramma's Irish coffe mugs and it's special all the same.
The children's Christmas programs are memories and the sloppy wonderful homemade ornaments are too.
I didn't fulfill their every Christmas wish, but they fulfilled mine.
My heart, my soul and my undeserved gifts...daboyz.
Time will fly faster then reindeer and sleighs my friends; cherish the moments.
And from our home to yours, a very Merry Christmas.

7 comments:

Pat said...

What a bad angel Mac was when their grandpa took that picture!
You are all my greatest earthly gifts...Merry Christmas.

MSU gal said...

I love that pic! and i remember that play. I remember when you were that age as well! i do cherish these moments with B-girl as i know they are fleeting. aw, now I am crying. Merry Christmas family. I love you all so very much.

Kell said...

I remember that play! I held that little buzzard (angel) the entire time.

Margie said...

ok, now I am balling! Merry Christmas!

Loveyou guys!!

tina fabulous said...

merry christmas!
glad tidings to you and all of your kin

Becky said...

merry christmas

Mrs. Mac said...

bhawwaa! Can I cry too! This year I have my dear children present (all but one) ... but no handmade ornaments, or rewatching Christmas plays ... all packed away. Bhawwaa, sniffle, snort. Please pass me a tissue. Merry Christmas ... enjoy the past while creating the new memories.