Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Beggar

It was so weird.
You guys know that Jay has Celiac and that Mac has been not all that healthy for several months. You know that Mac is being screened for Celiac and the tests have been inconclusive.
Last Wednesday I came home and Mac was on the couch being off on winter break from school. It was about 3:30 and he was in his pajamas. Not that unusual on a day off of school. But then my chest kind of tightened up. You know that feeling when your gut has recognized something before your head has caught up? He was sick...again.
Something in his complexion, the tone of his voice, his posture. The too familiar look of not feeling well.
"You sick?"
"Yeah."
"What's the matter?"
"I don't know. My throat. I'm stuffy."
No fever. Said he was drinking plenty of fluids. Had eaten.
And I went upstairs and put my head down on my desk and cried.
I thought about calling someone or e mailing someone but didn't really want to talk about it. I got into my bed in my work clothes and cried and cried and cried.
Why cry over a sore throat? Because I've lost track of the sore throats and upset stomachs over the last six months. And I honest to God could not deal with one more anything.
It's remarkable to me how fast the bottom fell out of my heart.
As I've said before, all tests are negative so far and he's gaining weight and eating. In fact, he's now up four pounds! I'm claiming him healed and whole.
But boy, for a little while there it was rough. About a half hour really of crying and praying and crying. Desperate is the way I'd describe myself. Despair. Not again God, no more!
Despair can sneak up on you, ya know?
Mac's fine.
It's me that had the problem.
When I saw him sick you want to know what I did between feeling his forehead and laying my head down to weep? I got on the computer and looked up symptoms, illnesses, diseases. I reread his lab results. I wracked my brain for the missing thing that would explain it all. I did some research on some very ugly diseases with a knot in my stomach.
After fifteen minutes of that with too many tears in my eyes to read the monitor any longer it was then I dragged myself to bed to cry and whisper my dread to God.
I didn't find anything on the computer except confirmation that my son has had all the flu and colds that we've all had all winter. And that he has an excess of snot, which is not fatal.
I learned something else, I am a beggar.
I am a beggar for mercy, grace and one more day.
I walked around thinking I'm bullet-proof but I'm not. I'm a beggar.
Please God, just pull me up and take care of this.
I was a beggar from the beginning. Just needed a reminder of my status.
Because only when the beggar reaches out her hand does she get the bread she needs.
Next time despair knocks you down, reach out your hand to God before you Google your other options.
I'm begging you.

Isaiah 14:3
And it shall come to pass in the day that the LORD shall give thee rest from thy sorrow, and from thy fear...


6 comments:

Mrs. Mac said...

The worst thing to do when in the depths of despair is to google search for answers! Too much information can cripple a person and make a mountain out of mole hill. May God send peace to your heart and some answers for treatment for Mac ... )))hugs & prayers((( from big sis in Idaho!

Sara said...

mac is up four pounds!! :)

Margie said...

Mrs. Mac, you are SO right, it can be good, but sometimes it can be crippling. When my friend got pancreatic cancer, my g-friend was a google freak... we had a different attitude about the whole thing, I had hope.

Pat said...

Maybe the phrase 'ignorance is bliss' can also make living on faith more of a reality. Good lesson for everyone (mostly me) in this post.

tina fabulous said...

i must disagree.
i like to know exactly what i'm praying for and what i'm being delivered from. and i like to think that God appreciates more than "Oh Lord, hear my generalized health prayer!".
i dont think faith is about not knowing whats going on, but believing even when the world gives you every reason not to.

ps. i stand by my tapeworm diagnosis.

KayMac said...

What a great post. What a gracious God!