Sunday, July 12, 2009

Book Review On Location

My absolute favorite vacation activity is reading. How that differs from my usual favorite activity is anyone's guess. So without further ado; the book review you've been waiting for.
"When Madeline Was Young" by Jane Hamilton was so wonderful. The premise is that a young wife sustains a terrible head injury leaving her mentally and emotionally incapacitated. At her full recovery she is reduced to the function of a six year old. Her husband loves her deeply despite the fact that this love cannot help but change because his vibrant and beautiful wife has become a child in a woman's body. The young bride's family quickly "moves on" and in fact moves out of state leaving her husband to create a life that is good for both of them. Ultimately, he remarries and has two children with his second wife. Madeline, the woman/child is not put into an institution as those around Aaron advise. This new family simply folds Madeline in. The children think of her as their sister. The second Mrs. Maciver becomes a mother to the brain-damaged Madeline. It sounds bizarre and even unseemly at the outset but becomes a beautiful story that made me stop and think about what I am capable of. And to admit, I don't think there is this deep a store of goodness within me.
Along similar lines was "The Dive From Clausen's Pier" by Ann Packer. The main character is Carrie who is realizing that she is simply falling out of love with her high school sweetheart & fiance Mike. There's nothing really wrong between them other than the fact that Carrie no longer feels the passion that sustained them as teenagers and she is trying to figure out what to do with this relationship that has changed from romantic love to deep friendship. Before decisions can be made Mike is injured in a diving accident and becomes a quadriplegic. Now those around the couple wait for Carrie to step forward and do the right thing; marry Mike and build a life with him despite his future in a wheelchair. Carrie, however, doesn't find a renewal of her love for Mike as she sits at his bedside waiting for him to awaken from a coma. She has to reach a decision that is fair and honest for both of them. Most of us would say she must push beyond her own desires for his sake. I'll let you read the book if you are curious about what Carrie does. It's a worthwhile read.
"The Maytrees" by Annie Dillard is a beautifully written novel about the life of a married couple beginning with their courtship. The prose is lovely and smart. And I quit reading it because although it is beautifully written I realized about halfway through that I really didn't care about these people. Despite pretty words, the author failed to make the characters real to me. So that was the end of the Maytrees.
"The Bay At Midnight" by Diane Chamberlain should not have been a great book. Simple murder mystery, implausible ending. However, the author made up in texture what was lacking in plot. Fantastic descriptions of a family's summer house on the shore and richly developed characters pushes the story forward so you find yourself reading only partially for the answer to the mystery. Moreso than assembling clues I was absorbed in the people, the places and the emotions the author put on paper. It was interesting from start to finish and just 'unserious' enough to be great summer reading. Nothing too hard to think about, but plenty of brain candy.
"Off Season" by Anne Rivers Siddons who happens to be one of my favorite authors. Another writer who creates a rich landscape with words; the places and people of her books become as clear and engaging as any experienced in real life. In this book the main character's husband dies and she spends the next several chapters recalling her life prior to meeting him and through her marriage. Was it Siddon's best work? No. Worth reading? Yes. Although the last few pages kind of fell apart for me a little bit. I'm interested to hear what others might have thought of it?
While up north I read a few of the cottage books that my mom stocks in and did not write down the titles or authors! Let's see....Bubbles A Broad (good, entertaining, silly.) Crimes of Fashion (might have been the title, might have been the main character's column in a news paper. Either way, fun.) Another novel that I cannot begin to remember the title of about a woman whose husband leaves her. It was good. Based on that description, maybe you can find it. Good luck. "Keeping Faith" by Jodi Piccoult I remember. Weird. Read it and explain the last page to me.
I'm halfway through "The Lord Of The Flies" which I'm book clubbing with Jay and also "Breakfast At Tiffany's." Reviews to follow.








Now you know why there aren't any exciting pictures of my vacation!

6 comments:

Pat said...

I was interested to hear what you thought of the Ann Rivers Siddons book, I think I'll read it, her books are never bad, some are just better then others.

Constance said...

I look forward to getting more reading done over the summer. My goal is one new book a month and usually summer vacation and all of that windshield time on the open road helps me to fulfill that goal.

The Madeleine book looks interesting. About 4 years ago my daughter (now 31)told me about a man she had went to high school with whose name is Jeff. His wife (Laura) of 10 months was broad-sided on her way to work one morning by a dump trunk. She was a beautiful, vibrant young woman in her mid 20's with a severe head injury. It was so incredibly sad! He however, was amazing and so devoted. Laura passed away about 18 months later and he has since remarried. Life goes on and sometimes we don't want it to!
Connie

Trish said...

I have started the same book at least 3 times...I have read 1 whole book this summer...sigh.

Mrs. Mac said...

I just returned from the library with a stack of books .. mostly about homemaking and thrifty living. Really ... I need to see some exciting pictures, sara ;)

Becky said...

i demand pictures...and a cupojo

Stacy said...

Sara, have you read "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers?