Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Friday Book Review (early)


"Icy Sparks" by Gyn Hyman Rubio was amazing. A young girl with weird mannerisms and tendencies ends up institutionalized, home-schooled and finally emerges into the real world to enter college and finally be given an explanation...Tourette's Syndrome. But that's just a tiny glimpse of this fantastic book that gives a huge portion to God and his role in the life of this child and her family. Don't miss out if you have a chance to read it.


"You're Not You" by Michelle Wildgen is about a woman who becomes a caregiver for another woman with Lou Gehrig's Disease. Another incredible read. The title refers to the care giver's role to interpret for her client when the disease makes her speech unintelligible to the outside world. When her husband leaves the woman her caregiver becomes enraged on her behalf and veers from interpretation to her own opinions on the husband's betrayal. The ill woman's instruction, "You're not you." In other words, you are here to be me to a world I can't reach. Amazing.


"Accidental Happiness" by Jean Reynolds Page seems to be the final book in a trio this week about women dealing with various disorders. In this case, Reese returns in search of her ex husband to find only Gina...his second wife. Ben has been killed in an automobile accident. Reese has her daughter, Angel, in tow and the question becomes a debate over who Angel's father is and how much Ben knew before his death. Reese is sick and is desperate to find some kind of plan for her daughter should the worst happen. When it does, the answers are far different than I guessed. Great book? No. Good idea, good plot. Lacking those descriptive passages I eat up. The book happens in a seaside cottage, on a sail boat, in the mountains. Nothing there to draw me in and make me imagine the setting. Blah.


Current read, "Blessings" by Anna Quindlen. Only a few chapters in but so far lots of descriptions of an old house with furniture and meadows and antique linens! Looks like a winner!


Almost finished with "Wives Behaving Badly" by Elizabeth Buchan on CD. Loving it.




Small grace: sitting on my patio after working and just breathing.


3 comments:

Margie said...

i love these! one day I'm gonna have time to read them all!!

but today is Friday? you must have been excited to share

Trish said...

I read Icy Sparks years back...I loved it! Need to look through my closet and dig it out...it is worth a new reading!

Deb said...

I have purchased Icy Sparks - it's now on my Kindle. And You're Not You ...sent a sample to my Kindle --will read the first three chapters and decide then if I want to buy it. Icy Sparks --bought it right away just because it was on Oprah's list and she usually picks good ones. I love your critiques...keep 'em comin'.