Thursday, July 23, 2009

Responsibility


I heard a great line today, "It isn't my fault, but it is my responsibility." Have you ever thought about that? I have been guilty countless times of permitting myself to be off the hook because it wasn't my fault. Settling an argument I didn't start. Cleaning a mess I didn't make. Even giving money to someone who has blown their own.

But what a great concept for a society who is so anxious to find ways around stepping up. If we could really embrace this, would we even be debating national health care or who will pay for medications of elderly patients? Could even a few marriages be saved?

It would take wisdom to live rightly and responsibly. I am not a believer in bailing people out over and over again or excusing behavior that is clearly unacceptable. I think a lot of harm comes of sheltering people from the consequences of their behavior. So I've got to figure out how to take responsibility without enabling. I don't really know how that works.

Well yes; I kind of do. Christ was able to figure it out. It wasn't his fault that I sinned but he took responsibility for making a way for me to be redeemed. Maybe responsibility means being someone who not only points in the right direction but will even take up a shovel to clear a path so the lost can find their way. Am I willing to contribute my own sore muscles, blisters and sweat to someone elses opportunity?

Am I?
Small grace: The book on CD I just checked out of the library turned out to be the sequel to a paperback book I found and read up north! I didn't realize it until I started recognizing the characters. Fun!

2 comments:

Amrita said...

Dearest Sara , this really struck a deep chord on my heart.
I thik about these things and battle with them.

Now without your persimmsion I 'm gonna steal this post and paste it on my FB notes, giving you the credit and placing your link.

Margie said...

I'll get my shovel and join you. I even got some gardening gloves on sale at Michaels, very fashionable, green, turquoise, and pink!

Small grace: videos of 'my kids' in Colombia posted today!