Monday, April 25, 2011

4/25/1967


Yes, today's my birthday...44 years old! I generally look the other way on my birthday not because I mind another year passing so much as I am completely uncomfortable with me-centered occasions. Ditto Mother's Day. But today it is so I thought maybe it would be a fine time for a getting-to-know you/me moment for those of you who haven't been with me in the neighborhood for the last hundred years.
I am married to my high school sweetheart, the Mr., who I started dating when I was 15 years old. We will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary on October 25 this year. We have two sons, daboyz. Jay is going to be 23 in June and has a girlfriend named Paulina and Mac will be 22 in October, his girl is Lexi. They are truly great people despite having been raised by entirely under qualified people.
I am a registered nurse, a nurse manager in a psychiatric facility in Ferndale, MI that is part of the Henry Ford Health System. I've been a psych nurse since graduating from nursing school in 2004 and I love it, which is weird among nurses.
I am a healthy person and have only one Achilles heel, depression. Since 2007 I have been on an antidepressant and now wonder why I waited so long for help especially since I had been taking care of people with depression for 3 years before I sought medication. Silly! I have found a new life and a new ability to enjoy every day with the illness now in remission. If you are depressed, go see a doctor and don't tolerate one more day of a half-happy life.
In 2007 my grandmother passed away and in 2008 the Mr. and I bought the house she and my grampa had shared since 1971 and that is where we now live, & every morning I am amazed by that simple fact. It's a post WWII bungalow in Dearborn, MI and not a bit fancy although it sits on a really pretty double lot. My home is filled with more old stuff than new, from true antiques to items that have no value other than in my own heart. This was the home of my grandparents when I was a child and it will be the home of my retirement when I have grandchildren. I can't imagine life being much more wonderful than that.
I have known Jesus as my personal savior since I was four years old and healed of a heart condition when my parents had me prayed for at an old fashioned healing service. Once the Lord has sewn your heart back together, it's very difficult to deny you need him! I was raised in church as was the MR. and as were daboyz. It is one of the wonders of a childhood salvation experience to see how God becomes new and more gracious to me year after year when you'd think all of the amazingness of grace would be used up.
I am an introvert, a reader, a loner and socially inept. I am often misunderstood but don't mind most of the time unless the misunderstanding evolves into judgement of my character. Given my options, I'd be a homemaker and venture into the world as rarely as possible. In fact, I'd happily plop this bungalow on top of a mountain or in the middle of a meadow and have no neighbors if I could. I'm not one for a girl's night out or extravagant vacation. My favorite days of the year are the ones spent at home, regardless of the season. Although I love and serve Jesus, I have found that The Church and Christians are not always tolerant of my personality and I find myself occasionally in the "needs to be rescued" category. So please, if my lack of formal recognizable service concerns you, try not to worry too much. If I could get one thing across to others it would be that we are all called according to God's purpose and I know very well what my purpose is. I am a wife and a mom who clings tenaciously to tradition and values and memories and believes with my very soul that the home in balance creates a world in worship. Some of us have to tend to the home fires even if it means we live outside of the box a little bit.
I am a really good writer but a really crummy conversationalist and if I have to talk on the phone I pray for the rapture to save me from it. I'm funny and often find a reason to laugh just when other people think I shouldn't, and this I find especially funny. I like to dance, I hate high heels, I live in scrubs or jeans and believe God gave us yoga pants to prove his love for us. As soon as I get home from work I put on pajamas and then I start dinner. I like heather gray t-shirts and never wear blouses. I was really fat, I was relatively thin and now I'm medium fat-that is currently being worked on and I'm down 20 pounds.
I have highlights in my hair and hate red nail polish. I love schizophrenic people and have no problem socializing with them, let us not analyze that particular truth.
My life's verse is at the header of this blog, to everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven. I love the natural changing of the seasons and I find supreme and perfect comfort in knowing that each moment in time is ordained by God and will always usher in the next ordained season. Weeping lasts only for a moment and joy comes in the morning.
So there you have it-er, me. I'm very boring and very happy to be so.
And I'm unspeakably honored and grateful that you choose to spend time with me. Maybe the season of blogs has created a world where I'm not so very much a loner.
More importantly, I am never lonely.
My sewn together heart holds the miracle of redemption.

11 comments:

Mrs. Mac said...

Happy 44th b/d sister Sara! Nice bio :) (Don't ask why I haven't gone to bed yet ((It's 2AM here;)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Sara and know that we are a lot alike my friend. I have always been quiet, preferring to be by myself and would dearly love to be positioned on top of a mountain in a small cabin with no neighbors for the rest of my life. I also love the Lord and was saved when I was 21 just out of the service. Sadly I have been a member of way too many churches (baptist, methodist, church of Christ, pentecostal, adventist) There was a time when I actually held services at an assisted living center every sunday PM for two years. I am not currently involved in a church but wish I was. I hit rock bottom Christmas of 08 and have been on depression meds since then and think I am better, much better since I started blogging back last june. It has helped me share about me to others openly for the first time. If you think about it say a prayer for this old NC boy (64) who is trying.
Odie

Stacy said...

I LOVE the new blog pic...it's as if you're joyfully basking in the light of the Son ;)
p.s. Happy birthday!

Debra said...

Happy birthday, Sara! As always, I'm amazed how much we have in common. Hope you're making this day (and all others) special! :) Wishing you all the very best....Debra

Judy said...

I like you.

Judy said...

Oops. I forgot to say Happy Birthday!

Pat said...

Happy birthday my first born! I would have called you, but I dislike talking on the phone as much as you.

Becky said...

happy birthday!!

Margie said...

nice to meet you sara, thanks for inventing me and Happy Birthday! a few days late!

Terry said...

deara sara...the little bird, mrs. mac told us about your birthday and after i apologized at the sisters, i came here at mrs mac's
suggestion to wish you a happy birthday even though a day late! and a happy anniversary even though six months late...
i read this post and it is a perfect description of you and i tell you, don't you ever change, eh?
you are one of a kind and i have missed a lot not making the rounds of the different sisters' blogs!
we need more hours in the day!
i remember that you love shoes and i used to get a chuckle a few years back at some of your "shoe" posts!
hope you had a great birthday dear sara!....i like you too!!!love terry

Felisol said...

What a wonderful introduction of yourself, a unique child of God.
Happy belated birthday. I envy you, 44 years young.