Sunday, April 03, 2011

Dinner time

Although I call them daboyz, my sons are 21 and 22 years old. Jay, my oldest, has lived on his own for a few years now. When they were growing up we made them a promise, 4 years of college and they could live here in the bargain. No school? That must mean it's time to move out and get on with life. We have made the usual promises that are the always kind. They can always count on our love, our prayer and our commitment to one another. They can always count on us welcoming the women they will one day marry and to be devoted grandparents. And they can always count on dinner. It's sometimes a joke when I tell people my son has been on his own since he was about 20 but we still see him every night for dinner. Well, of late it's not quite that often. He's been dating a very sweet young lady for a few months so we suspect he's enjoying dinner in her company. Nonetheless, he can count on dinner. Daboyz know that they need to shoot out a text or an e mail if they absolutely plan on eating with us so we can plan ahead but even failing that, there will always be scrambled eggs or a grilled cheese for them. When we go out to eat, we always pick up the bill. I don't think that's necessarily the mark of a good parent but for some reason, it's important to us. Their girls can count on dinner too. Mac and Lexi usually join us on Sundays for dinner. Sometimes I'll hear from Jay in the middle of the work day with a one line e mail..."what's for dinner?" Often my reply will be met with, "Awesome." I wonder if those are bad days at work and he's looking for a little nurturing? Or maybe he's just really hungry. Either way, he knows where to come for whatever he needs. A few weeks ago on a Saturday he texted that he and his girl would be coming by for dinner that evening. The Mr. went out in the slightly frigid back yard and grilled hamburgers and they spent just a few hours with us but it was nice. It's like touching base. It's one of the few things you can offer your kids once they are out in the world and on their own. At least, if you are of limited means it is. I can't buy you a Hummer but if you drop by, I'll be happy to make a pot of chili for you! I imagine the day will come when the dinners together are fewer and farther between as they construct more and more of their lives as men on their own. Someday I hope to have grandchildren and when that day comes, they too will always have dinner. However, I am going to need a few hours notice if they all plan on dropping in at once. :) When that day comes, I will happily open the freezer and figure out what to feed them. It's Sunday evening and the weekend is slipping away from us. Mac has just left to take Lexi home and Jay is in the family room with his dad watching television. A few hours ago Mac was wondering when his brother would be over because Sundays are the unofficial for sure day for dinner. Nothing special on the menu. Chili dogs, chips. That's about it. It time to clean up the kitchen and switch gears for Monday. I just thought I'd share that when life gets grown up or complicated or busy, it's kind of nice that daboyz know that there's dinner here. If you find your life getting a little too grown up or complicated or busy; come on by. We'll always have dinner. Image: Mac, me, Jay in the kitchen. 2008

5 comments:

Stacy said...

Your boys are blessed!

Diane said...

In all of my life, I never remember a day when Momma's kitchen wasn't open! I love that you have that same generosity with your boys. Home should always be a place of respite and no matter how we, or they, become, our parent's home will be home to us as long they are there and the freezer's open! I was so blessed to read this post, Sara!

Many hugs............

Diane

Margie said...

you're a good momma!

Pat said...

Does that open invitation extend to your parents? I hear they are really good people.

Debra said...

Everything ok, Sara? I'm going through Sara's blog withdrawl. :) Blessings, Debra