Thursday, June 21, 2012

Spiritual Geocaching

With insomnia and now what seems to be an ulcer, I am reminded in no uncertain terms that stress won't go away and I cannot fix everything.  What I have to do is seek out goodness and quietness, peacefulness, sweetness, holiness and all things that reflect God's face.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things...Philippians 4:8

This can't happen accidentally, one must be purposeful and seek out the things in life that restore a sense of rightness to the heart.  If life is a set of scales, there is much on the side of burden and stress.  I have to then be sure I add much to the side of joy. It makes sense that in this fallen world, it will take a bit of effort to fill the joy side.  And the first roadblock of the enemy is simply to distract us, keep us from noticing how much good there is. 
So I do things like watch The Waltons.  My menfolk roll their eyes and make fun of me and then sit down and watch too.  I have this theory that something about putting The Waltons or Little House or I Love Lucy on the television brings a spirit of more innocent times into our home.  I soak in the details of that big old house on Walton's Mountain, I see the best of what we can be in such fully developed characters that I can imagine living next door to them.  I am reminded by the simple lessons of honor and expectations how much better we can be, and have been, and should be. Yes, all of that from reruns of The Waltons on GMC (Gospel Music Channel.)  I believe that with all of the mess, sin and degradation that swirls outside of my home, I can still restore a gentler and more innocent time inside the walls of this house.  The great commission sends us out into the world, and we must obey.  But it will take its toll if we do not have a haven in which to be washed clean and refilled with sweetness. 
Have you heard of geocachingIt's an activity where you get coordinates on your GPS and following them, find a small treasure someone has left for your discovery.  Usually, it's a simple treasure...a bunch of buttons or a small toy.  Something silly and innocent.  Stress management is a lot like that.  You must look intentionally for the small silly innocent treasure.  If you were just strolling through a park without looking for the geocache, you'd walk right on by without noticing the little box under the bench with a set of jacks inside.
Reserve some of your energy, some of that intention you direct toward fixing problems and finding solutions or just flat out worrying and even praying.  God wants your spirit to rest and to refill your soul.  Pop some popcorn on top of the stove and cover it in butter and salt.  Find The Waltons on TV and watch it on a non HD channel.  Make a pitcher of iced tea and put your glass in the freezer for a bit before you fill it.  Draw the blinds and find an old quilt. 
There is a geocache of the heart waiting for your discovery.


2 comments:

Debra said...

Walton Therapy! I've used it often. And found it good. :) Blessings, Debra

Trish said...

I have been watching the Walton reruns for quite a while now. (Reminds me of my sweet Southern families) Another good series is Wind At My Back. It is on the Inspiration Network in the afternoon...Love it!