Friday, May 10, 2013

He is

And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.  Exodus 3:14

Several years ago, I was studying and God revealed something remarkable to me.  It was this...

He is.

Being a student of the scripture and a lover of history and knowledge of the Word of God, this became the simplest and yet most difficult to grasp of everything I had ever learned.  The debates about the time elapsed during creation, the history of Israel, the function of the law and then of grace and the mysteries of the fall and the end of time.  None of it, since that moment, has held the fascination of those two words...

He is.

I understood in a heartbeat something I have never since been able to express much less to teach. 

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  John 1:1

Before everything, in the perfect eternity of time without beginning or end, is God.  Perfect intelligence, wisdom, power and love is God.  Forever, never having been born and not having been created is God.  In my finite mind, my spirit has a sense of this eternity and it is stillness and peace.  It is entirely uncomplicated and entirely complete.  My spirit catches wisps of this God in, above, beneath and around...He is. 

It isn't even power that my heart imagines.  It's not so simply defined.  God, the one in whom all life dwells and from whose lips all life is spoken.  Perfectly whole and unblemished.  From this, from him I was spoken.  I think I will spend the rest of my days chasing after this understanding of my creator and the sweetness of feeling myself within him.

He is.

No comments: