Monday, May 20, 2013

It's time!

It's almost here!  Memorial Day!  Am I thinking of barbecues, picnics, a day off work?  Nope.
Memorial Day means it's safe to plant in The Mitten!  Yay. 
I'm making my list, drawing my drawings, daydreaming of annuals and perennials.  This years additions and the someday when it's all exactly as I imagine it will be. 
Yay!
I planted ornamental grass around our telephone pole but they didn't survive the winter so now I have a decision to make.  I love ornamental grass and may just go ahead and try another hardier kind.  OR, I am thinking very seriously about this idea...
Red, white and blue hydrangeas!  My friend at work was telling me about her red, white and blue hydrangeas and I now realize, this is exactly what I need!  The only problem, as my friend informed me, was that her red one died and her patriotic theme is now not so patriotic. Unless you're Israeli :)
That got me thinking, I believe I shall go with the all American idea and plant petunias in red white and blue along the front edge of my berm.

I suppose technically, it's red, white and purple but you get the idea.  Pretty, huh?
Then of course, there is the traditional Boston ferns that hang around my back porch every year.  I'm sticking with tradition on that one, they not only look lush and green but they provide a little shade and make the porch nice and cool in the mornings and evenings.

Well, those are just a few of my ideas.  I have planted perennials on the berm and I'm more or less going for an informal and unstructured sort of look.  Cottage?  Farm?  I don't know.  I just know that I wait all year for these sunny warm days and I'm going to enjoy every single one!

1 comment:

Jada's Gigi said...

me too! I need some pots to hang on my front porch...no ferns for me...I want color...and they must be able to stand the heat cause there ain't no shade out there!