Friday, June 02, 2006

Mapquest


Psalm 33:11
11 But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.

Stress. That’s what planning does to me. It makes me stressed. I am not a fun person when I’m stressed. Even my family will tell me that I should go somewhere else and de-stress.
The older I get the better I have become at recognizing the stress response in myself so I can more efficiently stop the madness. I know I don’t make good decisions when I’m stressed because my only objective is to escape the situation, not necessarily in the best way possible.
I’m tempted to try to dodge any situation that makes me uncomfortable. I like my comfort zone very much thank you. However, that zone can become smaller and smaller until it is only big enough to hold me and a book. Because if I’m gonna live life, there is gonna be stress.
The only way to avoid this unpleasantness is to keep reminding myself that my life is planned out already. I just have to keep myself praying instead of plotting. No matter the situation in front of me; in the end it will have to be God handling the matter. The sooner I hand it over to Him; the better for all of us.
The problem is that sometimes God has plans for me that I would not necessarily have chosen for myself. I’m looking at one of those times in my life right now. I was happily sailing along when God put a hitch in my giddy-up and changed my direction. I tried to politely decline His offer. No thanks. It’s a nice plan to be sure but I’m good right here where I am. Then He convinced my husband to approach the issue. Uh, no thanks. Then He inspired my friend to bring it up. Ok, I’ll pray about it. Then two more people asked to speak to me about “something”, guess what it was. Yup. The plan. The Plan.
When I talked to God last night with sweaty armpits and palpitating heart I told Him that His offer was very, very nice and quite the compliment really but I didn’t necessarily want to pursue it at this juncture in my life.
And God informed me that perhaps my life is not my own.
Indeed!
Now, I don’t know where this course of action that I’ve been bamboozled into will ultimately lead me; but I do realize finally that my life is not just for my own enjoyment. If I’m useable somewhere outside of my comfort zone; I need to be submitted to it.
That takes faith. I thought at first it was faith in myself that I lacked but I now realize it was faith in God that was lacking as well. Because if I am obedient; shouldn’t I assume I’ll be blessed, enabled and anointed?
That wasn’t what I was assuming. I was assuming it would be a change for the worse. I was afraid that God was leading me into a big old mess. And He probably is; but He is going to come along.
So my direction may be changing soon. I won't know for a while if it will be an official change of direction or if this has only been a test. Do I believe in God’s goodness? Am I willing to be part of the plan?
Buckle up, we’re merging onto a different road and it might get bumpy.
Glad I’m not driving.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

1 comment:

Margie said...

i'll put my seat belt on and pray with you... i'll be here if you need me