Thursday, June 23, 2011

Bloomin'

Houses have become the "thing" in the last few years, have you noticed? HGTV, blogs, magazines...there is no shortage of sources for those wanting to get their house fix. Put me on that list by the way, I've never spent so much time absorbing house media that I'm bored. I wonder if this abundance of house candy has caused a little bit of discontent though? I'll admit it, I sometimes look at the homes shared in blogs and think to myself, "I can't possible post any pictures of my house." It's never big enough, clean enough, fabulous enough to compete." And never will be. And does anyone else find themselves baffled by the shows and sites that are trying to encourage us just to jump in and _____________-insert project here. I am not lacking inspiration, I'm lacking money! Case in point, Curb Appeal, The Block on HGTV the other day. Neighbors came out to announce that seeing how fantastic the subject house looked after the $20,000 make over had inspired them to go ahead and reside, reroof and landscape their house and finally put that in ground pool in the yard. They were just waiting for inspiration? Inspiration I got in spades, it's the $20,000 I can't seem to put my hands on! Who are these people who have all of this money and simply can't seem to get to the Lowe's and buy those shrubs they know they need?


How about the competition show, Bang For Your Buck. Three couples have remodeled their bedroom (and en suite bath doncha know), let's see whose $75,000 got the biggest bang for the buck. Good grief! I could rock your world for $500! My bedroom make-over (lacking en suite), was about $1,500 including furniture and bedding. P.S. it took us 3 years to get it done!


And Yard Crashers? Yes, the make overs are amazing. But give me a five figure budget and an army of professionals and I bet I could get it done too.


Anyway, I love all of these shows and I'm not complaining. I'm just wondering, which I think I said somewhere six paragraphs earlier, if we common folks might look around and feel entirely overwhelmed and under equipped to make our postage stamps yards and bungalows into something sweet and lovely with the three year low budget plans that are our reality. So let me give you a little inspiration for the common man...


Small houses mean small windows, cheap and easy to dress. You can afford to change your window dressings seasonally if you want to, a valance for the windows in my house (36 inches wide), cost about $10! Plantation blinds for the window over my kitchen sink, $20.


Small rooms mean easy paint jobs. A few gallons will cover any room and without cathedral ceilings it can be done by one person in a day or two. $30 can change the complexion of an entire room. Buy neutral foundation items like furniture and you can update the room yearly if you want, and if you hate what you've done you can remedy it relatively cheaply. Not to mention, adding architectural details like crown moulding won't break the bank in a 10 x 12 bedroom.


Older homes have figured themselves out. They live in established neighborhoods on tree-lined streets, you don't have to look out your windows and figure out how to afford sod. The grass is there, the trees are there, often even the shrubs are there! Embrace the vintage classic flora and fauna, don't let the professional landscaping jobs in new neighborhoods make you insecure! Work with what is there and you'll find your little old house has still got it. Every year you can invest in one or two perennials to bring new life and a few dollars more for some annuals and it's charming, not old.


House built pre-1970s are going to be smaller and you're not likely to have a master suite. Families used to share one tiny bathroom and if there's a second commode in the basement you're living in luxury. Hey, I would love more bathrooms but it is what it is. What it also is is hardwood floors, arched doorways and six over six paned windows. And if I want to carpet over those hardwood floor, carpet is affordable. Area rugs can also add warmth and color for less than $4,000.


I love admiring those master bedrooms with sunken whirlpool tubs and yes,I daydream sometimes. Infinity pools and pergolas and outdoor fireplaces are beautiful beautiful beautiful. I'm just encouraging the bungalow dwellers out there to enjoy the eye candy like you enjoy a vacation, coming home and loving the way home feels and not resenting it for not being a 365 resort hotel.


In other words, bloom where you're planted.

Image: My kitchen window.

5 comments:

Rachel @ Finding Joy said...

GREAT post. In fact an EXCELLENT post!! I have sat and watched those shows on HGTV or read blogs and had some of the same thoughts. Thank you for your words.

And sigh, for $75,000 I'd be adding on -- not just making over one room.

Oh yes, one more thing, it reminds me of a phrase a good friend of mine always tells me -- comparison is the death of contentment.

Great post. Again.

Rachel

Margie said...

I LOVED THIS POST!!! I was thinking about my house and all the things I wish I could have planted prior to 'the paryt' however, let's not get crazy... I have a plan for the gardens... every year I plant 3 or 4 or 8 perennials... and soon my flower beds will be filled iwth bloom every year! I have a section that is growing (multiplying) in blackeyed susans... next year it will be close to perfection as I dreamed it!! I painted my whole house (well dining room, living room ,foyer, kitchen, hallway, and backstairs) and really spruced up the place! I love it!

Debra said...

Loved this post, too! Makes me feel even more enthusiastic about buying the 1,100 sq. ft. house we just bid on. I've not watched hgtv in eons, but from your description, I don't feel I'm missing a thing. I'd be embarrassed to spend that much money on one room or even 75,000 to spruce up the whole house. With the economy today and people suffering, well, I'd feel horribly guilty to do that. (But I realize that's a personal conviction and wouldn't force anyone to feel that way, too).

Again, great post.... makes me want to start decorating my new little house! Blessings, Debra

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

What a great post. So many of my own feelings. I have taken the same approach that you have - I am blooming where I have been planted and I am slowly making improvements as I go along. Thanks for the inspiration!
Lisa :O)

Jada's Gigi said...

I'm working on it! but Boy...putting my hands on that cash..as you say...where Do those folks come up with it??