Sunday, September 23, 2007

No Justice

Just recently I learned that someone didn't get "what they deserved." Let me clarify that, what some people seemed to think they deserved. Some people even feel this person got away with something. Folks sort of stood around waiting to see the punishment and humiliation rain down and then...nothing. At least nothing so spectacular as has been predicted (and perhaps hoped for.)
I know what he did, the guy who got away with it. It was bad. I've yet to run across anyone to defend what he did. He'll pay, says the crowd. But he hasn't paid. And although everything isn't as it once was, it is beginning to look like he might just walk away from this more or less intact.
Not everybody likes the way this is turning out. The climax is rather anticlimactic.
Me? I kind of like the way it turned out. And no, he didn't get off scot free. His life has changed in some major ways that I myself wouldn't want to deal with. I'm glad I'm over here just watching and not over there living in it. But I am relieved that the worst didn't happen. When someone gets the justice for their sins, I get nervous.
You see, I don't want to pay for my sins. We don't know what real justice is, even as we stand around demanding it. I don't want justice, no thank you. I like to see mercy, even when it's just an earthly glimpse that's blurry around the edges. Second chances make me breathe a sigh of relief. I'm living on more second chances than I can count. I'm on second chance infinity.
Jesus is merciful, even while we are far away from asking for mercy. He lets us feel enough pain to make us want to turn away before justice comes down on us. It's like the mercy of pain receptors in our fingers that cause us to pull our hands off of a hot stove. Sure, it hurts. But think of the damage we'd do to ourselves if we didn't hurt.
So I know that pain serves a purpose, and that the wise man turns away from the self-inflicted pain of sin. Still, I rejoice in mercy.
So I'm glad he kind of "got away with it." I'm glad he didn't "get what he deserved." It made me breathe a sigh of relief.
I have no appetite for justice.

Isaiah 55:7 Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts. Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon.


5 comments:

tina fabulous said...

i'm glad too. :)

isnt that the beautiful point of it all? i think maybe sometimes God lets your inner turmoil count as time served.

Margie said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!

I hate when people say "you deserve it", and they mean it in a good way... like i did something good or something but really, I don't deserve a good thing that's ever happened to me, I'm a wretch. I don't like justice either :)

Deb said...

I have a coin on my keychain which on one side reads, "Grace is when the Lord doesn't give you what you deserve."

Grace....bring it on.

KayMac said...

Once again, you have captured my attention and have made me think....

Terry said...

Dear Sara..If I got what I deserved I would be in Hell for sure!

Mercy... Forbearance to inflict harm under circumstances of provocation, when one has the power to inflict it; compassionate treatment of an offender or adversary; clemency.

And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.

Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing.
And he called one of the servants, and asked what these things meant.
And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe and sound.
And he was angry, and would not go in: therefore came his father out, and intreated him.
And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:
But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.
And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.
It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

Thank you for this good post Sara.
I need to be reminded of this sometimes.......Love Terry