Monday, December 10, 2007

HA!

If you know me at all you realize that I am always dignified and rarely given to silliness or laughter.
That is a lie. In fact, pretty much the opposite is true. And the more inappropriate the situation, generally the harder I laugh. I actually worked with someone who took me aside regularly to tell me my lack of professionalism offended her greatly. This she said as I was making a pair of slippers out of Kotex to tube to my sister on another floor of the hospital.
I love to laugh. I love people who laugh. I love it when I catch someone's eye and we both crack up and nobody else knows what's funny. I love old movies that are gently funny. I married my husband largely because he laughs a lot and makes me laugh. Turns out that don't pay the light bill but whatever.
There's another kind of laughter that is even better. It's the laughter of the saints. If you have never been in the presence of someone so overwhelmed by God that they just throw their heads back and laugh, you've been missing out. If you've never seen anyone throw up their hands in praise and laugh toward heaven, you ain't seen nothing yet.
And if you yourself have never experienced the love and joy of God so great that you laugh and cry at the same time, you need to fix that. God isn't so serious as we've made him out to be. For instance, I'm certain the day my mom got my hair cut into a pixie, he was rolling on the floor.
There's a whole new experience in Christ to those who will let themselves truly rejoice. Let go and laugh with Jesus. I'm telling you, it'll do you a world of good.

Proverbs 31:25
She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.


5 comments:

Louise said...

Why on earth would the Bible tell us that a merry heart does good like medicine, if we weren't meant to laugh?

I've read that one test of our character is in what we find laughable. There's a holy laughter that surely pleases our Father; and the coarse laughter of the world that definitely does not.

We shall be a surprised people when we reach heaven and learn of all He had for us that we did not enjoy.

Deb said...

I was just thinking what louise commented --that a merry heart doeth good like a medicine.

laughing is good for the soul!

Deb said...

and slippers made from kotex? love it!!

Margie said...

sadly, I laugh (and cry) at myself most.

Amrita said...

I am with you on that one. Laughter anytime for me.Helps keep my BP down.