Friday, August 07, 2009

Friday Book Review


Hello!


This week I'm doing a simultaneous read of two books by the same author that take place during the same time period; same town. The two stories intersect only in that the main characters are lifelong best friends, each playing a minor role in the book of the other. The first is "Gilead" and the second" Home" both by Marilynne Robinson. I am further into Gilead and doing more reading in that book having started it first. Both main characters are ministers of the old fashioned variety. They are moral men, admitting to their own shortcomings and guided entirely by the King James Bible. I love the almost-lost man of God who lives simply and in pursuit of understanding of God without interest in the bells and whistles of religion. Their perspective is largely inward believing that their Christ-likeness is what will win the world and draw men to God. I am loving these books. Gilead is without chapters being written as a letter in the final weeks of life to a young son who will not know his father into adulthood.


One the list for the week; "Dancing in the Lowcountry" by James Villas, "A Bit On The Side" by William Trevor, "The Almost Moon" by Alice Sebold.


157 pages into to "Gilead" I know it is a book I will consider a favorite for a long time and already I recommend you read. Might be worth a purchase!

No comments: