Thursday, September 10, 2009

C.S. Lewis Revisited




So here we have a revisit to the C.S. Lewis Room. On the left is the room photographed from the bedroom hallway. On the right, standing in the living room looking through the alcove (note my grampa's antique secretary) toward the kitchen. In all of the re-doing we've been blessed to be able to scoot furniture from here to there without buying anything new except the brown leather ottoman in the family room. Here the living room (C.S. Lewis Room) is now occupied by the blue camel back sofa, formerly my gramma's, that used to be in the family room. The china cabinet likewise has been in the family room but will be in the living room for a while. It's likely the cabinet will find its way back to Connecticut in a few months when Dean's mom's piano takes up residence. But for now, looks pretty good there, huh?


I wasn't sure how the blue couch would look but it really kind of pops with the wall color and I'm liking it! This room is the no tech room. No television, no computers, no radio even. It's where we go for quiet conversations, to read, to pray or just to decompress at the end of a long day. The lack of electronic diversions is intentional. Just this morning I opened my front door and sat in there to drink my coffee. Sometimes, this room almost feels sacred. Maybe because it was my gramma's special space in the house, where her Bible could be found on the coffee table. It seems like a room in which the Holy Spirit has made himself comfortable.
Small grace: Quiet places.


5 comments:

Mrs. Mac said...

Your C.S. Lewis room really needs to grace the cover of a magazine sara. I like the idea of no tech anything in there. My bedroom is like that, except for my stupid alarm clock!

The blue couch really is the finishing touch and looks great. Good choices.

Constance said...

I love your color choices! Sometimes you have to think outside the box and go with your "gut". Dave and I have a good eye for "composition". His eye is for photography and mine is with fabrics, scrapbooking,. painting and so on. I think he's finally learned to trust me when I suggest something. I told him I don't want to live in a "fun house" either and that I wouldn't do anything crazy when it came to painting. I mean, who else would paint "eggplant" in parts of their living room and adjacent hallway? I did so it would match the leather furniture and it looks great!

I also love the idea of a no tech room. Like Mrs Mac, ours is our bedroom. I used to have a small stereo in there so I could listen to music but since the den is right next to it I can put on my classical or sax if I want some music to go to sleep by. We've never watched TV in our bedroom and don't plan to start!

Connie

Trish said...

That blue couch was made for that room...

Deb said...

The C.S. Lewis room is perfect! I love the color! We also have a "no tech room" - our bedroom - just the alarm clock in there - and it rarely makes any noise as I often awaken before it goes off.

I'm coming to read in your C.S. Lewis room --I have a huge stack of books....

btw - I just read your recommendation of Between, Georgia. Loved it. I'm currently reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter - did you recommend that one? don't recall...it's a good one too.

Louise said...

Your home is beautiful and I adore the C.S. Lewis Room! I agree with Mrs. Mac, it does need to grace the cover of a magazine.