Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Be Careful Little Mouth What You Say

Colossians 3:7-9 (New International Version)
7You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices

“Man, have you noticed how much casual swearing you hear? I don’t like it.” That was my 16 year old Mac. And so there in the car driving to dinner a discussion started amongst the four of us about how easy it is to let our conversation run a little salty. Mac was specifically bothered by some joking he heard from some Christians. Some words that checked his own spirit to be careful.
Remember that old song? Oh be careful little hands what you do? Oh be careful little feet where you go? Oh be careful little mouth what you say? For the Father up above is looking down in love...
We live in a world where we are barraged by less and less edited speech. One of the freedoms we need wisdom to live within. I’ll speak for myself and say that this makes it easy for me to be less bothered by words and conversations that wouldn’t have been acceptable at one time. Is it better that I have more liberated speech now? Honestly, up until Saturday April 1, 2006 I was occasionally aware of how much I was tolerating. After Mac started us talking and thinking, I did some repenting and refocusing.
Here’s how I see it now. Some words you use may offend me and not be a big deal to you. And some words I use may be upsetting to you. I am going to try very hard not to be the naughty word police and exact a five cent fine for bad words and swears.
But what I am going to do is dial my heart back a few decades where my mouth was a little more guarded. Back in the days of PG movies and bubble gum rock. Back when I didn’t excuse things if I could label them as art. There is only one great artist. And I’m going to work hard at imitating Him. Don’t send me a list of funny words you found in the Bible (you know who you are). I’m not being quite that literal.
I’m going to try to speak from a renewed heart. I’m going to ask God to cleanse my lips. I’m going to hold myself accountable to things that might offend someone else or Christ and if there’s any doubt...don’t. I know that. I got sloppy for a while but my kid reminded me who I am. If out of the fullness of my heart my mouth speaks I should be so busy with love, compassion, truth and grace that certain words just don’t fit the script.
So if you hear me using language that makes you cringe; charge me a nickel. I’ll pay.

3 comments:

Margie said...

Sorry, Sara, it's a quarter if you are in my presence, that's how much I pay...

Vicki Sue said...

Wait? You mean I am not the ONLY ONE who has gotten an email with funny words found in the Bible??
...Interesting! (And a great reminder) to my own "not so little" mouth.

tina fabulous said...

that song always scared me when i was a kid. i thought God had like, bugged my room or something. now that i think about it, it's probably been a major contributor to my present paranoid state.
son of a!