Friday, April 14, 2006

I Am My Father's Daughter

Because I am my father’s daughter...

I believe the Bible is perfect, true and all I need to live rightly.
I pray.
I know that family is all.
I sometimes end up standing alone with my ethics.
I will tell you the truth even if you won’t like me for it.
I know that mercy & grace are different than tolerance.
I know that the generations to come will walk on the bridges built by the generations before.
I have a responsibility to God, then my spouse, then my kids, then the world. In that order.
I need to give some part of my self to mankind if I’m to be worthy of my life.
I will fight if need be.
I will stand for my country.
I will pray for my president.
I cry during 9/11 footage, still and always.
My sons will go to college.
I chose a man of honor who loved God to be my husband.
I am the great granddaughter of coal miners and immigrants who had nothing, the granddaughter of auto workers and public servants who had some, the daughter of a firefighter and homemaker who had more and I am a nurse who has much.
I am my father’s daughter.
Happy birthday Dad.

He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.
~Clarence Budington Kelland

1 comment:

Margie said...

Happy Birthday too, Sara's Dad, you and your wife raised one of the greatest people with the biggest heart, and I love her!!