Wednesday, April 19, 2006

What The World Needs Now

Some of them were old. Some young. Some of them were fat, skinny, black, white, Asian and Middle-Eastern.
Some looked me in the eye and smiled and some looked me in the eye with less than friendly intent. Some said “Hi.” Some ignored me.
Some were well-dressed and others looked a bit rough around the edges.
There were some with screaming children and some using walkers. There were some coming and some going.
They were the shoppers at Wal-Mart and K Mart today. I went both places grabbing supplies for my kids. There were a million of them I do believe. I was a bit annoyed by them frankly. Too many of ‘em. Slowing me down, getting in front of me in line, blocking the aisles with their carts. Chatting it up with the cashier when I had places to go. “Move along there Skippy!” screamed inside my head. At least I’m pretty sure I didn’t actually say it out loud. Man, people can really irritate me by co-existing in my space.
I just wanted to get in, get out and get on with my day for crying out loud and they are just so; so; so human!! And there!! And , and, and...
And God loves them. Every fat skinny loud quiet young old rich poor insert-nationality-here rude friendly chatty pouty one of them. God loves them. As much as He loves me.
I stood there in the check-out line and caught a glimpse of God like never before watching the people streaming in and out of the doors sure to get in my way at some point. Suddenly I saw love flowing in and out of automatic doors at the nation’s leading discount king. Love walking around, not knowing it was loved. God’s heart, beating in front of me.
All of a sudden, they weren’t in my way any more. All of a sudden, they were the reason I was there, to ask God to give the ones who needed it another chance to find Him. To ask for their safety. To pray for their blessing.
All those nameless, faceless, irritating, smiling in my way people. Put there, I think, to teach me a little lesson in love.
God love ‘em, each and every one of ‘em.
And teach me to do the same.

John 3:16
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[a] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

No comments: