Monday, April 03, 2006

Good God. Good Boys.

Joshua 24:15 ... But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.

Several years ago I was chatting with a man several years older than myself about how to raise kids to love God. He had older children, mine were still quite small. I was asking him how he parented and sharing about my prayers for my boys, my hopes and my faith that God would do great things for them if I gave their lives to him.
He said something that aggravated me and has always stuck with me. The gist of it was that I should prepare myself because all kids will turn their backs on God, rebel, choose a life of sin and then hopefully find their way back to their roots.
I didn’t accept that. But my kids were little so my arguments kind of hung in the air. I thought to myself, just wait and see.
Today I have a son graduating in June and another one graduating next year. And so, Sir, I offer you an update on the Smith boys.
They are good boys. They love God. They know Him personally. They know His word deeply and understand it with wisdom. They did not rebel. They did not break curfew. They did not hang with the wrong crowd. They did not drink, smoke or party. They never argued about going to church. They listen to Christian music. They get good grades. They love their grandparents and family. They stay up at night and talk silliness together. They hug us. They say “I love you”. They pray and share their burdens so we can pray too. They give glory to God for the good stuff, and walk in faith through the bad.
Are they perfect? No. I think someone set off a dirty bomb in each of their bedrooms. Two matching socks never make it to the laundry at the same time. They wait until the last minute to do the chores I ask them to do. They leave their cereal bowls and pop cans in the living room. They have messy hair. They leave book bags and gym shoes everywhere. They eat too much fast food. Given the opportunity to be at home unsupervised, they wear pajama pants all day and play video games.
They are not perfect but they are good. The are the gifts of a good God.
I hesitated to write this, some nasty voice in my head telling me it ain’t over yet! They could lose it before all is said and done! They could make a fool of you! I don’t think so. I didn’t claim that mess back when they were little, I’m sure not claiming it now.
This is not an ode to perfect parenting either by the way. It’s a heartfelt lifting of my hands to God. Thanking Him. Acknowledging Him. Always Him. Always, always Him.
Thank you God.

Proverbs 3:6
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

1 comment:

Pat said...

I know just what you mean, I have two adult daughters that never let me down. There is a saying that says the same boiling water that hardens the egg, softens the carrot; meaning two kids raised the same can turn out differently. True enough, but I think it helps to let your chidren know the behavior you accept and expect from them and set the standard high, not givng them unspoken permission to try the wrong path which may forever change the course of their lives.